Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember slot car racing when you were a kid?

Remember slot car racing when you were a kid?

I still have my slot car racing set from when I was a kid but it was nothing like this.

http://www.wimp.com/slotcars/
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

My car would always fly off the track at 1/100th of that speed. Wow

We have some friends that have a track about that size, built back in the 50's by his dad and uncles. Not nearly that fast...wow
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Dang. I used to have the HO gauge cars, but they sure didn't run that fast. I do remember when the "Tyco Pro" cars came out, they were light years ahead of the Aurora cars that came with my set.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I don't even understand what I saw. Those things are just running flat out, so there can't be any 'skill' at driving them, right? It all has to be in the build and the strength of the magnets that hold them to the track. I don't even understand how they can tell which car is their's or where it is on the track at any given point in time!

I'm guessing the differential in the distance the outside cars run versus the inside must not even matter?

Ouch, my brain hurts just thinking about it...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent the last sentence of the clip was, "It is time for the lane change."

The kids and I had a place we could go to that had a track similar to the video. However, the speed was dramatically slower. There were turns of different radii which required different speeds. There were changes in elevation. There were NO magnets to keep the car on the track...you go too fast...you fly and you are out of the race. Our cars just had a little piece of plastic sort of like a rudder, except it was up front, that went down a little lower than the wheels so it would fit in the slot.

Most of the home tracks were permanent. They ranged in size from 4 x 8 feet up to the size of a single car garage. They were typically for two or four cars at a time. They typically were laid out so that the "inside" and "outside" lanes were equal in length. This was accomplished with a cross over bridge. Think of a figure 8 shape with one set of tracks going over the other with a bridge at the crossing point. Of course the tracks were not simple figure eights...they were more like professional or amateur sports car tracks.

Dang it, they sure were fun!

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Sorry, looks fake, the drivers heads are not even sort of following where the cars are.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I don't even understand what I saw. Those things are just running flat out, so there can't be any 'skill' at driving them, right? It all has to be in the build and the strength of the magnets that hold them to the track. I don't even understand how they can tell which car is their's or where it is on the track at any given point in time!

I'm guessing the differential in the distance the outside cars run versus the inside must not even matter?

Ouch, my brain hurts just thinking about it...

MIne too. It's just a blur.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I remember those sized tracks when I was a kid, but I don't remember anyone running them at that speed. I use to have an eldon and strombecker set with track
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Drew,
    Thanks for the post. I forgot all about the Strombecker cars the kids and I had when we started slot racing. They were actually pretty good cars if you were willing to spend a little time on them and tune them (does that sound like I am talking about a Sears table saw---"pretty good if you were willing to spend a little time on them and tune them). Things like change the wheels, the drive gear, etc.

That brought back another memory: Bonner motor in a home made tubular brass frame with a thin plastic film for a body. The kids and I (well all of the neighborhood kids too) had a lot of fun with those cars.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER