Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford F250 Turbo Diesel

Ford F250 Turbo Diesel

Hey all, I've not posted for a while, but I do lurk almost daily......... Anyway, I'm looking (very seriously) at a 2005 F250 turbo diesel, V8 6L in very good shape. 51500 miles, 1450 hrs. I am totally new to diesels. It makes a lot of noises I'm not used to, especially the whining of the turbo. Also the previous owner put some sort of tip on the exhaust that makes it sound like a jet.

My question: is there any reason I need to walk away from this, or is it a solid engine? I'll have my mechanic look at it tomorrow, but any advise, wisdom, warnings will be appreciated.

BTW, I really like it, when you hit gas, that thing takes off!!

Thanks, Tony

Tony, BCE '75

my son in law has a turbo diesel and it sounds like a freight train on steroids. probably pretty much like yours sounds. he has a pretty big camper so thats why he bought a diesel. he gets great gas mileage but the fuel is about 35 cents more per gallon

Are you going to be pulling something heavy often
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I've got a 2000 F350 Diesel. Love it. Pulls like a train. Lots of weird noises...

Different engine than yours, so can't really comment. Only problem I've had with mine is a crankshaft position sensor went out once and the rats that nested in the engine bay...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

You can't believe the looks I get when I pull up driving Brent's F-350 double dulley and pop out of the cab. You're wife will love driving it.

Just checked in over at a few diesel forums. They say the 6 liter runs like a scalded cat. If it's been taken good care of, nothing there to worry about...

Well, Except you may go through an adjustment period where you have to really think about reaching for the green pump handle...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

As discussed in this thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ical-Diversion
    we have an F350, same year, same engine. It first belonged to a young buck out in Fort Mac who rode it hard and put it up wet, so it came with some issues, which we've addressed. Even so, it's like driving a locomotive. I'm sure it would climb right up the side of the barn.
    We haul a 22,000 lb gooseneck trailer with it and the rpms never change, uphill or down.
    The thing that surprised me the most was the fuel economy, compared to our other pick-up, a very thirsty old 96 F150. The 350 will get about 24+ mpg (US) if you keep it under 100 kph.
    A Florida truck that's never seen road salt and not abused, you should have no problem.
    Enjoy!

Thanks all, I briefly checked a couple forums earlier, they talked about issues with the earlier 6L's, but all the owners love them.
    I have a 21 ft Bay boat I pull with my F150 5.4L, hoping this will help reduce my gas bill when hauling.

Well I better get some sleep, because tomorrow -- the negotiations begin!

Thanks, Tony

Tony, BCE '75

My dad just traded off his 2005. It only ever needed the high pressure oil pump, other than that it ran like a champ. I think it cost him about $800 for the replacement of the pump by the dealer, could have had it rebuilt by a local shop for a few hundred, but since they travel so much, he wanted the ford warranty to turn in where ever they are. I also just looked at several 2003-2005's, found a lot that had the ball joints worn out on them with all that weight up front, so have your mechanic inspect those.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word boo. Robert Brault

My mechanic told me to take it back ............ Oh well, seems like the 6L has a bad history. He recommended I stay away from it.

The dealer said he would look into an extended warranty, and called me back, $1200 for one year or $2500 for 3 years. Dropped the price another $1000 if I decide to take it. He's $8K below KBB.
    Last time I bought a car against recommendations (VW 411 wagon) it cost me a fortune until it finally caught fire and was totaled, so my gut feeling is to follow my mechanic's advise.

Poo!

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll keep looking.
    Tony

Tony, BCE '75

Yes the ford 6 liter diesels do have a bad history. The oil cooler will start to fail which in turn causes the egr cooler to fail. This failure causes steam to build up around the cylinder heads which can cause the torque to yield head bolts to fail causing a blown head gasket. Had a friend just go thru this on a f450 super duty he bought used. Some also had fuel injector problems on a cold start the spool valve in the injector would stick until the oil temp got up to about 155 degrees. This issue would show up with the ambient air temp being around 65 degrees.