Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw shake when stopping

Table saw shake when stopping

Well, I got ahold of a can of BreakKleen and got my brand new table saw nice and shinny fired her up and she sounded sweet....very smooth, quiet, but when I turned it off as it was slowing down it had an uncomfortable shake.

Its a belt driven 3hp motor, I am thinking the belt is to loose?

Here's the model.

http://www.hitachipowertools.com/sto...h=1,12,63,p250,

Is that shake normal for this type of saw?

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Julio,
    Don't know the Hitachi, but no other saw I have ever had shook when it slowed down. I would definitely do a little investigating before I put a load on the saw.

Your idea on the belt is the most likely cause, I would guess. Check the manual and see how tight its supposed to be.

While you are under the hood, check the arbor to see if there is any play - could be a bad set of bearings.

Also make sure there is nothing (like packing material ) interfering with the movement of the moving parts down there.

I'm sure the guys who know what they are talking about will have lots to add.
    Take your time and get it right, especially before you build any jigs for it.
    Don't believe everything you think!

julio, it could very well be belt set? try running the saw (after checking what jesse pointed out) for a few 5-10 min in order to warm the belts up....see if that helps? tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Tod may have it nailed. If not belt set it's going to be the belt vibration. If you can watch the belt when you shut it down. I bet your going to see some strange gyrations from it.

If I am not mistaken to tight a belt can cause that too. Like a vibrating guitar string.

Jeff
    Mr. Wizard wannaB
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I do not know what is to be expected of the Hitachi but I have a 3hp Uni and it jumps a bit on startup and when I shut it down, just before it comes to a complete stop, it gives a bit of a shutter. I have been using it daily for the last three or four days so it should not be belt set and the tension is fine. I never really notice it untill the subject comes up. Unless it is a real big vibration I don't think that I would worry about it if you check the belt tension and everything esle checks out fine. I think that it is just the nature of the beast on some saws.

Of course an ''uncomfortable shake'' might be another matter depending on how bad it is. Another thing is that an "uncomfortable shake" might be a "shutter" to me or vise versa.

I fought with my PM66 awhile back and learned a whole lot more than I wanted.

Make sure your pullies are aligned and the set screws are tight.

Even if your arbor assembly feels tight, it probably has some set screws as well, so make sure they are tight (DAMHIKT).

Make sure your belt(s) are tight as others have suggested. If it still does it after all this, I would probably take the belt off and inspect it to see if it has premature cracks or is defective.

Thanks guys, I am going to call Hitachi customer service. The manual doesnt have anything about adjusting the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Bookout View Post

Of course an ''uncomfortable shake'' might be another matter depending on how bad it is. Another thing is that an "uncomfortable shake" might be a "shutter" to me or vise versa.
    That's right Alan, I think it's similar to what you have, it's not alarming as in shaking uncontrolably, just that it makes things rattle instead of humming to a stop.I can see tightning the rip fence guide rails t-bolts every so often from being shaken lose.
    It doesnt shake while running, it's smooth and even. Just as the blade is slowing down at say 1/4 speed till it stops. Something I didnt expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    I fought with my PM66 awhile back and learned a whole lot more than I wanted.

Make sure your pullies are aligned and the set screws are tight.

Even if your arbor assembly feels tight, it probably has some set screws as well, so make sure they are tight (DAMHIKT).

Make sure your belt(s) are tight as others have suggested. If it still does it after all this, I would probably take the belt off and inspect it to see if it has premature cracks or is defective.
    I think I will do that, Travis. No harm in looking under the hood.

My tupence: Is the blade properly secured? Have you removed the blade to check for flatness? If it's bent and wobbly that might not show up at high speed. But, like one of my grinders, could almost bring the house off it's moorings during slow-down time.