Thread: MICRO-KERF 40 10"

Southern, Illinois

MICRO-KERF 40 10"

Anyone have any experience with these guys? Looks pretty cool. Thinnest blade I've ever seen. Would be nice to turn more wood into projects instead of sawdust.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    for $185 it better save you a lot of material and electricity. I think I'll stick to my Fraud glue line rip.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    It got a short write-up in the current issue of "American Woodworker." They liked it, but bear in mind they tend to cater to advertisers...

I've used 3/32" thin kerf blades before, and haven't seen the big deal - at least not on a cabinet saw. If you have lower powered saw, it might make a difference.

As for saving wood - is a 1/32" (0.031" or less than 1mm) saving really that significant? Most people allow 10~15% or more wastage for their projects.
    Jim D.

ABQ NM
    Looks interesting, but it's definitely pricey. And how thick is .062k? I'm guessing they mean .062"?

I use the Freud thin kerf (3/32") blades on my 1.5 HP tablesaw, and get the same results they mention on their website. (Paper thin slices needing little or no sanding.) To play the Devil's Advocate to Jim's comment, though, I do appreciate the fact that I can rip more thin strips from a board with my thin kerf blade than I could with a full width blade. As I see it, every fourth strip is free, and that did make a difference when I was cutting a lot of thin strips (1/32" to 1/4") for cutting boards.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

St. Louis, MO
    I'm skeptical too. The flowery description of the immigrants plight only adds to it for me. Probably tough for a hobbiest to A)-afford, and B)-achieve noticeable savings in wood or money.

For $15 you can buy a fairly nice 7-1/4" blade with a kerf of 0.079", or a bandsaw blade that's even thinner. I'm not seeing an advantage that's worth the price difference over other premium blades in the $70-$110 range.
    Got Wood?

Thomasville, GA
    I can buy a lot of wood for $185!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.