Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tossing around ideas - when your given lemons make lemonaide

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Tossing around ideas - when your given lemons make lemonaide

LOML has announced since (hopefully) my son and his wife will be moving out soon that we need to do something with the wall that their wide screen occupies. She has it in her head to buy a flat screen 36-42" and wants me to build a book case (?) to put it on. Now while most of use are thinking entertainment center I didn't just fall off of a turnip truck and after 40 years of marriage I know she is thinking simple. So my first instinct is to built something and hope she will like it. I have plenty of time to do this so we can over design this thing to death. Hear is my first pass at a design. This is simple but well different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bookcase.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 01-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Need something to hide the cords.....for sure according to Garry.

And depending on area maybe some doors to keep out most dust...

I would still fasten it to the wall.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Some form of back or bracing to prevent racking and make it a bit more sturdy?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

That seems way to simple for you Don. You get this kind of thing at Ikea cheaper than you could make it. Go on you gotta embelish this design a little.
    cheers

We started off thinking that direction, too, Don. That's why I'm in the middle of my credenza build. However, we realized it would be far better to put the TV on a wall mount and free up the top of the credenza for display.

For cable concealment, I cut a hole in the wall just under the wall mount and a matching hole at normal outlet height below it. Our credenza will hide the cables behind it, of course, and I'm incorporating cable management into the interior of the cabinet.

As to weight, we have a 55" LG and it weighs all of 52lb.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Now while most of use are thinking entertainment center I didn't just fall off of a turnip truck and after 40 years of marriage I know she is thinking simple. So my first instinct is to built something and hope she will like it.
    Happy Wife == Happy Life... No turnip trucks here either, Don!
    You've done some nice Maloof stuff, haven't you? I think I'd pull out my copy of "The Furniture of Sam Maloof" and do some browsing to see... maybe one of his dressers or sideboards could serve as a starting point.

I don't have a flat screen (yet) so I don't know about the whole wall vs table mount argument. The wall mount does give you some height and free up the cabinet top, but it does also pretty much lock it into place. On the other hand, TVs don't really move that much.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    ... On the other hand, TVs don't really move that much.
    Especially when it's one of the larger units!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    I would still fasten it to the wall.
    I'm with Bart , when we got our flat screen I really wanted a bigger one - but no the entertanment center had to stay . I would have wanted a bigger set to go on the wall myself . And I could have build something to go under it for eye off-set if she had wanted it .............MB
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    OK after throwing out a few Ideas to SWMBO and getting "the look" I know she definitly won't be happy if I get carried away. she has her mind made up so it's gotta be a bookcase so here's take two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bookcase 2.jpg  
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward