This really burns my butt! Caution....RANT

Tom Baugues

We got several inches of snow yesterday so when I got home from work I got out the snowthrower and used it on my driveway. Got the driveway done and started on the sidewalk when the auger stopped turning. Oh well, I just finished with the shovel and figured that the drive belt has either slipped off or broken. So tonight I had the time to take the cover off and sure enough the belt had broken. So I get the number off the belt and come inside to look it up online to see if I can cross it with something. I find it listed with sears parts online for $4.05 HOWEVER......in small print it said price can very....so when I clicked on the item the current price is $26.95.:eek:
This is price gouging to say the least. I understand supply and demand but this is simply wrong. I have found the belt at many other dealers at all kinds of different prices so I wont have any problem getting a belt. I hope to find one locally but I can assure you I will not go to Sears. This is just a matter of principal.

Got to go now......need to find a new belt.

I hope, especially as a moderator, that I don't stray into forbidden territory here. I don't understand the philosophy of many merchants these days. They've lost market share but continue to "do their thing". I have no problem shopping around for the best price and have no allegiance to any particular vendor. I'm also stubborn enough to wait for the price to be "right" before I pull the trigger on a purchase.

What does that have to do with anything? Everything, I guess. For instance, I (yes, I - not LOML) have been looking a new kitchen stoves (ranges). I do most of the cooking, which suits LOML just fine. :) We've been researching glass top, double-oven, stand-alone 30" ranges because that's what we have room for in our kitchen. She reads Consumer Reports religiously each month. In a recent issue, there's an excellent range that got great reviews but I'm balking at the price. The suggested retail price of the brand-named item is $1700. BUT, you can buy exactly the same range at Sears with their brand stuck on it for $2200. 'Nuf sed.....

Tom, I have good luck with all of the belts off of the various pieces of farm equipment I have by just taking the junk belt or pieces of belt to NAPA and they have a good selection and know how to cross reference as well as with some knowledge suggest a specific belt.

Last time I had a belt break on the lawn tractors blower, first heavy snow of the year, went to the local Tractor Supply Co. , but I had to wait behind 10 other customers hanging onto broken belts, LOL!!!

Tom, I have good luck with all of the belts off of the various pieces of farm equipment I have by just taking the junk belt or pieces of belt to NAPA and they have a good selection and know how to cross reference as well as with some knowledge suggest a specific belt.

NAPA...never thought of it...thanks Jonathan I've been out twice tonight and bought two different belts but neither is the right size. I will go to Napa tomorrow.

We got several inches of snow yesterday so when I got home from work I got out the snowthrower and used it on my driveway. Got the driveway done and started on the sidewalk when the auger stopped turning. Oh well, I just finished with the shovel and figured that the drive belt has either slipped off or broken. So tonight I had the time to take the cover off and sure enough the belt had broken. So I get the number off the belt and come inside to look it up online to see if I can cross it with something. I find it listed with sears parts online for $4.05 HOWEVER......in small print it said price can very....so when I clicked on the item the current price is $26.95.:eek:
This is price gouging to say the least. I understand supply and demand but this is simply wrong. I have found the belt at many other dealers at all kinds of different prices so I wont have any problem getting a belt. I hope to find one locally but I can assure you I will not go to Sears. This is just a matter of principal.

Got to go now......need to find a new belt.

Tom,
Call the Belt Store in Lafayette, LA... 337-235 9736 talk to Phyllis (think she is manager or owner)... give them the number of the belt... don't know the cost, but I buy my Jet belts from them... I get 3 including shipping, for less than one belt from Jet costs.

About the only thing I buy from Sears is their mechanic hand tools. It is convenient to get the "free" replacements when they occasionally break. That being said I try to buy them 'on sale".

I really detest the throw away mentality when it comes to appliances. I just had a microwave turntable platter break. Looked on the manufacturers website and was shocked with the $65.50 price tag. Did a little looking around and found one for $30.00 which is still too much in my opinion but doable.

Got a new belt today. I went to my local auto parts store and they measured and found a similar (within 1/8") belt. It works just fine. My snowthrower is a Murray that I bought from Menards years ago but Craftsman uses the same belt on several of theirs so that is how I found it online at the sears parts store. The "kid" at the auto parts store actually told me that I would probably be better off just going and buying a new snowthrower. He said he had one that stopped working like this and he just went and bought another one. WHAT?????? Paul, you are right about the "throw away mentality". The younger people now days have no idea how to fix things...just throw it away and start over. My works like new again.....$13.00.

Glad you found your belt...just keep the old one so when you need to find another you are working with the original :)

I can assure you Brent and I are from the anti-throw away mentality (much to my chagrin and one offsite storage unit even though we have 68 acres) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uh-oh, maybe I just gave Brent permission to by a shipping container. Especially now that "Bob" can dig the right base for it :bang::doh:

Who knows, in today's times, maybe that's not such a bad thing :wave:

Glad you found your belt...just keep the old one so when you need to find another you are working with the original :)

I can assure you Brent and I are from the anti-throw away mentality (much to my chagrin and one offsite storage unit even though we have 68 acres) :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uh-oh, maybe I just gave Brent permission to by a shipping container. Especially now that "Bob" can dig the right base for it :bang::doh:

Who knows, in today's times, maybe that's not such a bad thing :wave:

Just an FYI Bob will fit right inside of that shipping container.:thumb::thumb:
He better buy 2 one for a Bob house and one for the other stuff.:thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: