Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nice Rack! One for you tech & audio guys

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Constantine, MI
    Posts
    7,890

    Nice Rack! One for you tech & audio guys

    I need to build an audio equipment rack. I've managed to figure out the basic dimensions from catalogs and on line listings, and I can buy the rack rails through Amazon. The assembly is straight forward - I'm planning on using pre-finished birch ply I can get from a local supplier. I've figured out how large a 'space' is and I plan to build for 16 or 18 spaces. Here's my question - I see that I can also buy "back rails", but all of my equipment has different depths. Can most components be mounted only with the front rails or are the back rails mandatory? Always, or just on heavier components? If back rails are needed, how do you determine a position for them if you components are all different depths?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Equipment Rack dims (800 x 458).jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	64555

    OK, how many of you opened the thread because of the title?
    Last edited by Rennie Heuer; 01-21-2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Plainwell, Michigan
    Posts
    4,857
    I almost thought I was going to have to hit the report button Rennie Is this for personal use or more for the church set up?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361
    I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter?

    Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say?

    I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Posts
    8,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter?

    Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say?

    I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....
    or to simplify what Brent said it depends if it's a B cup or a D cup
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Constantine, MI
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    or to simplify what Brent said it depends if it's a B cup or a D cup
    Ugghhh. Should'a seen that coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter? Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say? I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....
    Check the manual! Why didn't I think of that? Minimal moving around - just want to have easier access.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    I almost thought I was going to have to hit the report button Rennie Is this for personal use or more for the church set up?
    Gotta watch you old guys. No telling where your mind might go! It's for church.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    3,383
    Rennie,

    Computer gear usually is mounted front and back. In those cases, there is a rackmounting kit that is somewhat like a set of full extension slides. The slides mount to the front+back rack via an adjustable mount, and then the computer slides into the full-extension slides.

    Network gear is usually mounted just at the front. I've seen huge Cisco switches that are over 20" tall, and 14-16" deep that is mounted in a front-only rack. It's rather impressive the amount of weight it can handle.

    I have no idea how audio gear is mounted. I *think* the stuff I've seen at our church is strictly front mounted. Best ask the audio guys at your church what they need.

    For that matter, I would also check ebay or other local surplus computer/network gear re-sellers as you can often pick up a half rack for pretty cheap. It might not look as nice as one made with wood, but if the price is right....
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Constantine, MI
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Rennie,

    Computer gear usually is mounted front and back. In those cases, there is a rackmounting kit that is somewhat like a set of full extension slides. The slides mount to the front+back rack via an adjustable mount, and then the computer slides into the full-extension slides.

    Network gear is usually mounted just at the front. I've seen huge Cisco switches that are over 20" tall, and 14-16" deep that is mounted in a front-only rack. It's rather impressive the amount of weight it can handle.

    I have no idea how audio gear is mounted. I *think* the stuff I've seen at our church is strictly front mounted. Best ask the audio guys at your church what they need.
    I AM the audio guy at my church!

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    For that matter, I would also check ebay or other local surplus computer/network gear re-sellers as you can often pick up a half rack for pretty cheap. It might not look as nice as one made with wood, but if the price is right....
    Been watching. The problem is the height - it needs to match our current desk height.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ABQ NM
    Posts
    30,017
    All of the rack-mount audio gear I've ever seen has been mounted on the front only. That includes some large power amps that we used on the road all over the Rocky Mountain states. I think you'll be fine with the front mounts alone.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

    workingwoods.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    Posts
    9,076
    As Vaughn states; rockers carry some heavy gear. Eighty to ninety pound amps, racked front only by four screws travel in road cases and see stresses you don't want to think about. Never lost one.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Similar Threads

  1. For old audio equipment buffs
    By Jim C Bradley in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
  2. Audio recording question
    By Tom Niemi in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
  3. DVD on XP machine - no audio
    By Mark Kosmowski in forum Off Topic Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2008, 11:34 PM
  4. Table saw blade alignment - Lo-tech / Hi-tech
    By Niki Avrahami in forum Jigs and Fixtures
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  5. Audio-visual adventure.
    By Sam Blasco in forum Flatwork Project Showcase
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 05:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •