Nice Rack! One for you tech & audio guys

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I need to build an audio equipment rack. I've managed to figure out the basic dimensions from catalogs and on line listings, and I can buy the rack rails through Amazon. The assembly is straight forward - I'm planning on using pre-finished birch ply I can get from a local supplier. I've figured out how large a 'space' is and I plan to build for 16 or 18 spaces. Here's my question - I see that I can also buy "back rails", but all of my equipment has different depths. Can most components be mounted only with the front rails or are the back rails mandatory? Always, or just on heavier components? If back rails are needed, how do you determine a position for them if you components are all different depths?:huh:

Equipment Rack dims (800 x 458).jpg

OK, how many of you opened the thread because of the title? :rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter?

Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say?

I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....

I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter?

Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say?

I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....

or to simplify what Brent said it depends if it's a B cup or a D cup

or to simplify what Brent said it depends if it's a B cup or a D cup
Ugghhh. Should'a seen that coming. :rolleyes:
I'd say it probably depends on the weight of the components and the amount of abuse expected. Since they are on wheels, I'm guessing at the latter? Can you look up a manual on your heaviest rack mounted component and see what that might say? I would have to think that there is probably a standard for the types of things that require back racks....
Check the manual! Why didn't I think of that? :rofl: Minimal moving around - just want to have easier access.
I almost thought I was going to have to hit the report button Rennie:rofl::rofl::rofl: Is this for personal use or more for the church set up?
Gotta watch you old guys. No telling where your mind might go!:eek::rofl: It's for church.

Rennie,

Computer gear usually is mounted front and back. In those cases, there is a rackmounting kit that is somewhat like a set of full extension slides. The slides mount to the front+back rack via an adjustable mount, and then the computer slides into the full-extension slides.

Network gear is usually mounted just at the front. I've seen huge Cisco switches that are over 20" tall, and 14-16" deep that is mounted in a front-only rack. It's rather impressive the amount of weight it can handle.

I have no idea how audio gear is mounted. I *think* the stuff I've seen at our church is strictly front mounted. Best ask the audio guys at your church what they need.

For that matter, I would also check ebay or other local surplus computer/network gear re-sellers as you can often pick up a half rack for pretty cheap. It might not look as nice as one made with wood, but if the price is right....

Rennie,

Computer gear usually is mounted front and back. In those cases, there is a rackmounting kit that is somewhat like a set of full extension slides. The slides mount to the front+back rack via an adjustable mount, and then the computer slides into the full-extension slides.

Network gear is usually mounted just at the front. I've seen huge Cisco switches that are over 20" tall, and 14-16" deep that is mounted in a front-only rack. It's rather impressive the amount of weight it can handle.

I have no idea how audio gear is mounted. I *think* the stuff I've seen at our church is strictly front mounted. Best ask the audio guys at your church what they need.
I AM the audio guy at my church! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

For that matter, I would also check ebay or other local surplus computer/network gear re-sellers as you can often pick up a half rack for pretty cheap. It might not look as nice as one made with wood, but if the price is right....
Been watching. The problem is the height - it needs to match our current desk height.

All of the rack-mount audio gear I've ever seen has been mounted on the front only. That includes some large power amps that we used on the road all over the Rocky Mountain states. I think you'll be fine with the front mounts alone.

As Vaughn states; rockers carry some heavy gear. Eighty to ninety pound amps, racked front only by four screws travel in road cases and see stresses you don't want to think about. Never lost one.