Thread: Penguin Donkeys

Penguin Donkeys

Here's a neat little bookcase slash side table. the originals were built in the 1930s with perhaps 100 of them made before WWII caused the cessation of production. It was designed to store paperback books published by Penguin Books. Penguin had standardized the dimensions of paperbacks shortly before these were made. This is actually the MkII Penguin Donkey. MkI was made with bent plywood. I expect the MkII version came about as a less costly version to make.

I was able to get detailed dimensions from an original. I am considering making one or two but as the original is only 15 inches tall, I might scale it up to about 18 or 20 inchest tall.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I must say that they are interesting looking. Not to my taste but interesting.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Yeah. I think the general idea could be riffed on to make a piece in a variety of different furniture styles.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly