Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid Planer helical cutterhead update

Ridgid Planer helical cutterhead update

Well I figured I would post and update on this upgrade I just did in case others are thinking about the same thing. To me it was a no brainer as the surface planer cost me nothing except the aggravation of having to find replacement knives and tear out on figured woods. In the video I'm running some curly maple I got from the Ambassador from his "tour de wood" visit. I don't know if you remember Larry but it had quite a bit of tear out. I replaced all the 2 sided hss cutters with 4 sided carbide cutters. Also in the video I made sure to feed the board into the planer in the same direction as was originally surfaced by looking at the tear out.

that sure does a sweet job on the curlie maple Alan I have around 400 to 500 of the stuff that sure could use that head

The problems you mention are exactly what led me to trying a spiral head on my jointer. After that, there was no looking back when the planer choice was to be made. I didn't realize accu-head made heads with carbide cutters. Good to know. The math proves out the cost savings on these and you can look forward to a long term benefit in material savings as well. Congrats and enjoy not trashing parts and having to re-make
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-23-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

well yu dune real good alan,, and tom that stuff was curlier than what we got.. i needs some spare cash for a insert head and alan to come up to install it
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Sounds like a road trip maybe in the near future?

Hey Alan, you didn't happen to video the changing the head did you?? I have the same planer and am very interested in that change-over, I have a helical head jointer and love it.
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Alan...Looks like it did a good job on that curly maple. What cutter head did you use? I have the same planer.
    Ken
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mooney View Post
    Hey Alan, you didn't happen to video the changing the head did you?? I have the same planer and am very interested in that change-over, I have a helical head jointer and love it.
    I have the installation instructions I can e-mail you. It took me an hour at the most. Unless you can tell me how to post a 1.19mb pdf here. If not just pm me

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Alan...Looks like it did a good job on that curly maple. What cutter head did you use? I have the same planer.
    I got it from this company.http://www.accu-head.com/#!products They make them for Ryobi, Delta, Dewalt and of course Steel City.
    The one thing I did do was switch out the two sided hss cutters for the four sided carbide cutters. I got those here. They had the best pricing.http://www.carbideprocessors.com/4-s...-si-141420-sp/

The quality of the cut of the two sided hss cutters is better than the straight knives but the four sided carbide cutters is what made the difference on this cutter head.

This is a great post for me. I also have the rigid planer and use a lot of figured woods so that looks like it is going on my shop wish list, right near the top.

THANKS!!!!!
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)