Router Table

Well you guys talked me out of the small jet shaper, so I started getting parts to put together a router table, almost 800 into it without the top!!!

For now I'm just going to put a top on a stand, I'll build a cabinet later. Any hints on a good size? I have the incra ls positioner 17 inch, pc 7815, jessum master lift. I was thinking 28" by 36" with the plate about 8" from the front. Does that sound ok? Going to try to get it put together this weekend inbetween working. I'll post pics soon.

That's exactly the size of the top i used with my Incra ultra 16 and it worked fine. The only complaint i had was that I wanted a little more table on the other side of the router to help support wider stuff. My LS 25 now sports a 28x48 and actually hangs off that a bit so that I could get a good 13-14" from edge to the plate - almost 20" from bit to edge and I find that very helpful when routing dados and grooves on large things.

Jason, I'm guessing your LS Positioner mounts at the back of the 48" dimension? I was thinking of building a 36 X 48 router table top, with the 36" being front to back, but the LS positioner back mounting piece being on an extension off the back end of the table. And lately I've been toying with the idea of building the router table into the outfeed table for the TS, which would be 4X6 feet. It's just to do this, I'll have to redo my thoughts for the dust collection hook up. Maybe use the router table as an infeed table/helper for the TS? Anyway, I guess I'm saying build the table as big as you can fit into your shop. Or maybe a flip up front for when you need it??? Ok, I'll quit thinking out loud here. :D Jim.

One problem with the jessem master lift.

You will make adjustments to the height forever. It is one precise and easily adjustable beast!

You could always go out and buy the jessem top and fence!

Jim, Yep - it actually hangs OFF the end of that 48" - because the 25" travel + base width was more than I was willing to sacrifice my "edge of the table to bit" on the opposite side. It really needs to be closer to about 55-56" if I want to keep my edge-to-bit surface area. :D

Here is my photo gallery with the old table (28x36") - you can see how the LS 25 kinda dwarfs that 3-footer :p

http://www.sacramentoareawoodworkers.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=8