Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: workbench question

Red face workbench question

I feel pretty stupid asking this question about how to use a work bench, but I've never had one. My tablesaw has always been my bench. HF had one on sale, i know ,i know but poor people have poor ways.

Anyway the question is about dogs you put in the top of the bench. I was clamping a small piece of wood and I could only use one dog on the bench and one on the vise.

That put the vise in a bind (only pushing on one side). I had to get a larger piece to stradle two dogs to make it work. Do you have to have a bunch of scrap around to use these dogs? (dogs may be the wrong word their small metal 3/4x3/4 that drop in the 3/4 hole)

Thanks guys and gals

PS
    I went on youtube and typed in everything I could think off and couldn't find a thing

bill no question is a stupid one... so from my understanding you dont need to use much pressure to hold something with a dog hole.. you are basically pushing against a im movable object to get a operation done.. now if you are trying to push against it in all directions then yes you need to regroup.. and clamp it appropriately.. go to google and ask the question and then see if you get some better links to your solution
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Hey Bill, I too needed to learn the in's & out's, as a new bench is on the burner...anyways...maybe a 'hold-fast' is what your a needin
    & I found this lil vid to be helpful...hope it does for you as well!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HvW81sOhuY

I use two methods. One is to use some pieces of 7/16" thick scraps (so they don't interfere with most stock I am holding) that I have marked to remind me not to throw them out. They are long enough to straddle the dogs and vary in width. I have a center row of dogs so I do not run into this as much as a wider spaced set. The other cure is a spacer for the side not grabbing anything. A piece of 1/4" dowel with a series of 1/8" luan scraps threaded on. At one end I added some strips of old credit card/gift card material every other wood piece or so to allow fine tuning. This little rig sets in the drawer right at the bench with the wood strips mentioned earlier and my holddowns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vise-anti-rack-001.jpg   vise-anti-rack-002.jpg   vise-anti-rack-004.jpg   vise-anti-rack-005.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-25-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Bill, thanks for asking the question. I don't have a workbench but I did learn something new from Glenn's reply.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

Any chance you can take a picture of what you were trying to do? Also is the HF bench sturdy?

Ken thanks for the video, seen alot of this guy but missed this one. Glenn thanks for the pic's just what I needed, I'm making on of those gagets in the morning.
    Peter The HF bench is very study for what it is. It's not real heavey but you can bolt it down. The doors don't extened out as far as they should but they work smooth. I sacrficed one drawer because a had a old woodworking vise I saved for years just so I could bolt it to a bench some day, it comes with one on the end and I put the other one on the side about a foot from the end. Thanks for all your imput.

Bill when it comes to using the vise and dogs to clamp think of perhaps lining yourvice with wooden jaws wide enough in both directions so as to be able to get some distance between holes and drill two holes in the centre of the moving jaw use a forstner drill bit to get a nice clean hole.
    Other thing you can do is to take a 3/4 inch dowel if thats the size of your dog hole and drill a hole through a piece of hardwood that is say 2.5" x 2.5" x 0.25 " thick. Then glue the dowel in flush to the flat surface of the wooden block and cut the dowel off at say 3" long.
    Now you got a square topped dog to fit in the bench hole and it will anchor the edge of a piece of stock you wanna work a lot better.

Oh and if you find you come up short in clamping distance make two wedges and slide them opposite facing each other into the gap between the workpiece and bench dog.
    Many ways to skin the cat ...its woodworking.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Thanks, still another good idea I get to try. I had another thought I'd like to interject. There are these things called holdfast, a piece of metal round stock with a curved top the you can put in the dog hold and give slight tap and holds your work to the bench. It seems there are some that work and others not so much. Have you had success with any particular brand?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bill McQueen; 01-27-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Bill in my view there is only one brand that seems to have the whole category beat.

Thats the gramercy ones from Tools for Working wood.

I think you gonna find a whole bunch of guys here will agree with me and have em in their shops. I got two and they work unbelievably well.

You get cheaper ones and cast iron ones but they also break. This is a tool that really works well.
    cheers