Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob's Bleeding!

Bob's Bleeding!

Looks like I've got my first major Hydraulic leak. Was using the backhoe today which requires the aux hydraulics.

Pulled a couple of weeds and was starting to dig when I noticed something was dripping down on me. No major spray or anything, just a pretty solid drip.

Sure enough, there was hydraulic fluid leaking off one of the aux tubes on the control arm.

Looks like this particular tube has taken a beating in the past, and in fact looks like it actually 'cushions' the arm when it sits all the way down!

So, looks like I get to make a trip to the dealer to pick up some filters and a replacement part. I have to go the to dump to, so looks like I've got a fun day coming up on friday.

I'll call to make sure they have the part first.

I'm sure this is just the first of a long relationship Bob and I will have with the local parts dealer. I haven't had much luck finding an online parts dealer.

I do have a copy of the service manual and parts manual, so at least I've got that going for me!

Its that top connector that has the tube that is leaking. You can just barely see on the lower left where it gets pinched pretty good...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWW-5394.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	64646
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

That has the look of a repair that shortened the run(?). It will be interesting to see if your replacement drops down closer to those other two lines. If that line is getting hit by any of the Bobcat's articulations, something ain't right ;-) The relationship you build with Bob will be worth it I imagine. In a previous life that I try to forget I often embraced the hydraulic systems on such machines. Maintenance and prompt repair is the key to a long and happy relationship with your hydrostatic friends. Treat them well and they will work their tails off for you.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Yeah, that looks to me like either it got bent, or was bent by something, but certainly not done right. I was surprised that the leak was more of a drop like nature and not something of an 'aerosol' nature. Plenty of other leaks to look at, and a good powerwashing wouldn't hurt either...

The parts manual is going to be kind of an expensive 'catalog' to be looking through, I think...
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Brent take this from whence it comes i know little about these things....but... ..it aint gonna deter me from throwing my 5 cents in the ring .
    1) Would it be of any good to you to explore having some spare tubing around and a flaring kit? I know thats not brake lining but surely its the same thing.???
    2) What about having some rubber spares made up and on hand as replacements for an emergency like this or ..dare i say it even permanently....not as if you got any warranty issues to worry about.

Sorry for the village idiot comments i guess i beenhanging about with you Yankees too long mix that with my redneck nature and hey if Jonathan can straigten and fix a truck chassis on a farm well i think anything is possible now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Brent, remember, hydraulics are under extreme pressure. When you complete this job and go to check for a leak, DO NOT USE any body part, ie, finger, hand, etc. Use a piece of paper and you can easily see the spray or mist pattern. Hydraulic fluid sprayed under pressure into the skin is a major infection immediately and many times results in amputation.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Brent take this from whence it comes i know little about these things....but... ..it aint gonna deter me from throwing my 5 cents in the ring .
    1) Would it be of any good to you to explore having some spare tubing around and a flaring kit? I know thats not brake lining but surely its the same thing.???
    2) What about having some rubber spares made up and on hand as replacements for an emergency like this or ..dare i say it even permanently....not as if you got any warranty issues to worry about.

Sorry for the village idiot comments i guess i beenhanging about with you Yankees too long mix that with my redneck nature and hey if Jonathan can straigten and fix a truck chassis on a farm well i think anything is possible now.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    I was wondering the same thing myself. The tubes sure aren't stainless, and I'v created brake tubing and done flaring before...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Brent, remember, hydraulics are under extreme pressure. When you complete this job and go to check for a leak, DO NOT USE any body part, ie, finger, hand, etc. Use a piece of paper and you can easily see the spray or mist pattern. Hydraulic fluid sprayed under pressure into the skin is a major infection immediately and many times results in amputation.
    Good Reminder. I was surprised the leaks I saw were big drops and not a mist, and that it wasn't just dumping a bunch of fluid really fast.

The tubing is more than likely Aluminum Brent.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Part is on order. It's nice to have the parts manual. Now I just hope I ordered the right one!

At least the price was reasonable, but they have to order it from the factory.

If the new tube routes the same way and will get pinched again consider welding a tab or two over it for protection.

Cheers,
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Dan thats a clever idea.
    cheers