reading mobile phone memory cards

Rob Keeble

Have you had any issues with reading one of the micro memory cards on a computer using one of the adapters that you get with the cards.

I have a very strange issue.

Got a 8 gig card put it in my phone (motorola Atrix) store pics on it. Then took it put it in the reader adapter that came with it and put it into my computer sd card reader slot and it dont show up. Windows 7 64 bit pro operating system.

Put same card reader adapter and card into new laptop reader (laptop windows home premium edition) no problem with seeing it and accessing files.

I have read way bigger cards than this on my computer desktop so i cannot fathom what the issue is.

Any of you techies out there got a clue at all.

Yeah i should go joint some techie forum to get the answer but i dont have time for a dozen forums. :D

Any forum for tech stuff any of you would recommend.?

Rob, I installed Astro to my phone and just use the usb cable to swap things over to the computer. Works great and you don't have to worry about taking the card out and loosing it.

I do similar to what Jeff mentioned...I just leave the card in the phone and use the USB connection to move files back and forth. I've been using the native capabilities of my Samsung Galaxy 2S, but the Astro app Jeff pointed to looks like it'll be a better approach. (Downloading it now.) ;)

I assume that you've tried other cards to verify it's not the reader. That said, I've seen some issues of when the card was really full and not readable by the computer, but is by the phone. The fix is usually what Jeff mentioned, read it via the cable. It happens due to how the phone and the pc read the segments of memory from it. Also when it comes to clearing the data from the card use the phone's functions to format the card and you'll have better data integrity.

Thanks guys. Yeah i hear ja Jeff but have you taken a look at the permissions on that app.? This is one of the reasons i want to read the card on my pc rather than via an app or usb. The mobile world and me are in a struggle over who controls my data and who has access to it.

How did you guys with your privacy laws let this whole lot get away with the things they are doing.