Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mahogany finish help requested

i agree with you on the grain enhancement,, the solids fall into the depressions showing up the low spots and the the highs dont hang on to i t, that is why if you sand to far up the grits you can make it so it doesnt show much color at all with a pigmented stain.. i think what you have shows signs of hiving the glimmer we all like rennie no need to buy the higher dollar wood in my opinion..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I'm back to square one - I took another look and did not like the way the alcohol only dye tended to darken some spots too much - the dark brown circles in the pic. Did a few more samples with the dye/shellac combo and, no circles! So, now I'm testing with just the brown dye mix, no green. There is not much red in my wood so I may not have to counter it.

still testing.................
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    Soon to have a web presence! www.reynoldswoodcraft.com (under construction - a long way from done)

Hi Rennie<
    My 2c-worth if you're still playing around & want to check out something else.
    After more experimenting than I care to think about, I decided on Rubio Monocoat, a voc-free oil that won't take more than one coat. That followed by Liberon paste wax. Compared to the wealth of talent here I'm just a novice, and I learned the hard way, but I love the result I get from that combo. The key is in the prep - I usually sand down to 600 or 1000 before wiping on the oil, then depending on the type of wood I may use 1000 grit to lightly rub it in.

I just use the normal 'pure' stuff, which allows the wood to darken a little with age, but I think you can get it with UV blocker too if you like the finished shade & don't want it darken. The pic below was taken a few days after it had the finishing done.
    Best

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mahogany.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	66470