Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Strength Training

Real Strength Training

I always hear about strength training, PBX 90 and all the newest fad stuff. [rant on] Just try turning out 10mm bolts from a transmission pan when the bottom of the car is against your chest and your arms are about twice as long and big as they need to be for the job. I spent about 8 hours pulling the two pans and scraping gaskets from my wifes car's transmission this weekend. The front pan gasket was leaking as the last shop that changed the rear seal put too much fluid in the transmission (sealed transmission) which blew out the other seals. [rant off] Second pic is the view back from the transmission where the ATF Fluid covered the entire back half of the chassis and is dripping off on ever square inch under the vehicle (well mostly me, but trust me it got covered well).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0666.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	64698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0664.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	64699
    I have real admiration for the guys that do this every day. I can barely lift my arms to type this post tonight.

Also had to change out the front bearings. Needed a special tool for reinstalling the "axle nut" (threaded ring with two holes for special socket). I took two trips to the parts store for different sockets before welding this up, which only took 15 minutes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0667.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	64700

BTW, have ran the work clothes through the wash twice with lots of detergent and hot water, still have the stains and smell from the ATF Fluid.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 01-30-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    Lots of fun don't dry them clothes until the stains are out, or it's all over...I've had good luck{should say the 'little lady' has} using hand cleaner like GoJo or Fast Orange, slather some on, leave it sit for a while, then wash & repeat as/if needed...HIH's.....btw, how's the knuckles?

Edit: nice improvising
    Last edited by Ken Cook; 01-30-2012 at 06:39 AM.

Zoiks, that sounds like a ton of fun.

I bought a set of coveralls I'm supposed to use for that kind of thing, if only I could remember to use them....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Man having a welder is just so cool!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yeah Ken, got some nice scrapes on both sets.

Brent, I don't think they would have saved the clothes, got pretty soaked. Those pics were after my chest soaked up most of the drips of fluid hanging from them. :P

Stu, I can't imagine not having a welder now, and wish I had a tig most times. I've got some 1/4" plate and angle iron in the back for a nice little table for projects like that. Didn't have room in the old garage and never got it welded up, might start doing it this week. I've got a little metal lathe and mill on my wish list, then there won't be much I can't do.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'd just like to get something a little 'bigger'. The welder I have is a little 110 job with about a 30% duty cycle.

My BIL gave it to me free and I've sure appreciated it the several times I've used it.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Thread Hijack..
    Saw this welder/cutter jack of all trades demonstrated in person a couple weeks ago and must say I was impressed. No bottles to store is the nicest thing as far as I a, concerned.

Multiplaz

Sounds like hype and high priced but it did everything thy claim. Reading some are satisified and a lot of people just "know" it can't work. Lots of people think it's Browns gas which it isn't. If it would last it would be almost perfect for the small home shop..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rEMjhNOhU

Garry
    Last edited by Garry Foster; 01-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Thread Hijack..
    Saw this welder/cutter jack of all trades demonstrated in person a couple weeks ago and must say I was impressed. No bottles to store is the nicest thing as far as I a, concerned.

Multiplaz

Sounds like hype and high priced but it did everything thy claim. Reading some are satisified and a lot of people just "know" it can't work. Lots of people think it's Browns gas which it isn't. If it would last it would be almost perfect for the small home shop..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rEMjhNOhU

Garry

I want one
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

That's very interesting Garry. I don't know much about welding, but it looks pretty cool, being able to both cut and weld.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    After skinning the knucks enough you will find that the skin grows back fairly quickly. As far as the smell of oil and grease well you get use to it. Oh the oil bath any day without one is a good day.