beginner setup?

larry merlau

i finally found a color wheel like dave used,, and its at mohawk finishing site they are talking about the powders like he had mentioned before.. so my question is, two fold.. he used behlens dye to tone his pieces and he also used powders .. so do they make a chart for the behlens products or are they the same color just diffent product? and then the big question what would be suggest for a startup kit for a poor redneck over here in michigan.. looking at going to have to tone some cherry in the near future.. this talk of green or blue added to the finish made me wake up to see i had work ahead that needed some toning..anyone with insight on this please speak up!!!

Larry,

When you get off into the world of subtle color your visual world becomes tremendously enhanced. You drive down the road and you see the world differently, more intensely. What was once a boring stretch of highway now has subtle color changes that attract your eye and enhance your "seeing." The same thing will happen with the colors of wood. Instead of a walnut cabinet, you see how the colors of the various components do or don't go together to make beauty or get on your nerves.

When you make a case piece the prospective buyer is pulled in because you have enhanced the harmony of the wood colors. The colors where part A meets part B. This harmony is built into a gestalt that is pleasing and sets the piece apart from pieces seen in the department store. The buyer does not realize it. However, that is a big part of what is drawing him to the piece and making him willing to part with $$$.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:
no paul, i am just trying to get a beginner set of toners to be able to do a better job of color matching then i have so far.. and jim i do understand color some have worked with it for a few years as day job but that doesnt tell me to use green dye to get a reddish wood more brouwn.. and what dye or powder to use.. that is what this thread was about ..to get a opinion from a good finish person that uses these tools to make the wood come alive when it sometimes wants to resist in certain areas.. just like allens walnut issue.. :)

Larry,

I'm the farthest thing from a finishing expert, that's why I've held back to see what others would say. As I learned more about dyes, I decided to get a range of TransTint liquid dyes from Jeff Jewitt after consulting with him a bit. At the time, I was working on a mahogany cabinet so I wanted a few options that might work on it. I also wanted to have a range of primary colors to play with a little. I settled on the following:

Red Mahogany
Brown Mahogany
Dark Mission Brown (similar to Brown Mahogany but cooler)
Dark Walnut
Black (for ebonizing)

Then the primaries:
Red
Green
Blue
plus Yellow

That gave me nine colors and there was a price break to order ten so I added Honey Amber to the list because I thought it would add warmth to some blends.

I'm sure someone else could come up with a totally different list depending on application.