Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welder Recomendations?

Welder Recomendations?

So as not to hijack Darren's thread, I'm just wondering what type and size of welder would you experienced folks recommend?

Let's say that you'd want to do at least 1/4" steel and would have some kind of decent duty cycle.

Not really in the market, just kind of looking to be educated on the subject.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    ...Not really in the market, just kind of looking to be educated on the subject.
    Yeah, right.

I say we start a pool to wager how long it is before Brent finds a welder he wants needs.

Sorry, I know next to nothing about welders.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, right.

I say we start a pool to wager how long it is before Brent finds a welder he wants needs.

(Shhhhhhhh You know Sharon frequents these forums....)
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Yeah, right.

And I know even less.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

That sorta depends on what you plan to do with your welder. I used to teach welding a few years back and we had everything from stick to wire and also tig. Since I've retired from my teaching job I have sold my Lincoln 225 stick welder that I used on the farm and have opted to keep my little Miller 115v wire welder for use in my cabinet shop. It will handle everything I'll do for the shop but if I were still looking to repair bush hogs and other farm equipment I'd want a stick welder back for that task. My little wire welder uses a solid core wire and "dip mix" shielding gas and is great for building shop tables, work flow carts, lumber racks and light repair on machinery.
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

Lots of variables to plug in here. 110 or 220 volt, single phase or 3 phase, wire feed or stick and the biggie......how much do ya wanna spend?

Miller makes a real nice 110 flux core wire welder for a reasonable price. I'm kinda stuck with Miller 'cause that's what we used where I worked. All of those were 240 3-phase MIGs with Argon gas shielding......major production machines with a 100% duty cycle. They do have a home/farm selection that is well respected. You can go the HF route but IMHO you'd be packin' sand in a rat hole.
    Edit:
    Jim beat me by a minute. He's got the same opinion though.

110 or 220, doesn't matter. Leave price out of it for a while, more wondering about the type...

Wire feed, Stick, Mig, Tig...

Or is it sort of like wood working, different tools for different jobs...

Definitely not a 'production' machine with 100% duty cycle.

Just wondering would be a 'reasonably' versatile welder.
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 01-31-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Reading up on it a bit, I think the best thing I can do is probably to get a tank of shielding gas. I've been using flux core wire and have never been especially happy with, or good at, putting up a good bead with my mig. I've gotten better, but I use a grinder just about as much as I use the welder...

I have to go to town later this week to pick up some parts for the skidsteer, so I'll stop by the local welding shop and get some wire and gas while I'm in the area.

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    For the normal farm/acreage I woulld go for a stick welder. Jim nailed it with the Lincoln 225. These are a very good welder. The Lincoln 180 was also good. The extra amps on the 225 was mainly used when you were using the welder to cut metal. The reason for the stick welder is there a different rods for different things. I used 6011 which is good for metal that may be a bit rusty. It doesn't lay do a great looking bead, but it penatarats very well. 6013 is a good rod for clean metal and has a nice looking bead. There are also rods for dissimeraler metals. It may take a bit of practice if you are use to welding with wire to get use to the stick.

Jim and Rex are spot on with their recommendations. For general heavy duty use like rebuilding frames, trailers, etc, a stick welder is hard to beat. I have four Lincoln 215 mig welders and they are very good machines for general duty but best on new metal. Migs don't do well with paint or rust. Here is a nice website with different welders, http://www.asedeals.com/lincoln_mig_welders.html

I have had difficulties getting a little 110 Mig welder lay a good bead if it was a flux cored wire. Basically the flux has to be in the center otherwise running down the liner it would rub and create problems. A 75/25 mix of argon mix and turn it on the bottle, that will make that little welder perform like a whole nother machine. Also pay attention to your buttons and switches, there are generally 3 or 4 different ways to set them up by the way the switches are thrown, one in the wrong position really messes with the performance. Welders are fun machines. Aren't you the one that goes to Chicago from time to time? Just a couple hours away, you come over, we can go through stick welding and MIG welding.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING