Thread: Wood rising up

Wood rising up

I made some wedges the problem I'm having is the wood I'm trying to hold trys to lift up off the bench (like a tent) rises up right where the wedges (and the spacer if used ) and work piece meet. I used the vice and a dog and a spacer and the same thing happened. I've used 1/4, 3/8 inch spacers. Any Idea what's happening. I've never had a work bench before.

Thanks

I would guess that the bench dog is not square to the table. Or perhaps your board isn't square where it is hitting the bench dog. I don't have a workbench yet so I am just throwing a guess out there.
    I'm a certifiable tree hugger. (it's a poor mans way of determining DBH before cutting the tree down)

Paul is on the right track. Most dogs are made with about a 5* angle on the face. This exerts downward pressure on thinner stock (say 3/4" or thinner). For thicker stock I resolve this behavior by raising the dog up so that it contacts the board higher up on the edge. I generally try to just clear the top surface with my dog height. I placed spring-loaded ball catches on my shop made dogs to allow me to set them at different heights easily. There are a number of ways to address this tension requirement; springs, o-rings, growing a third hand ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

The wood is square and the bench dogs are squared headed but are round where they go into the round holes in my bench. That being said if the square dogs were off a bit they would automaticly self center being they are in a round hole. I try to use the smallest wedge I can get by with so I can work on the whole surface of the board.

I think I going to make some downforce wedges like I made for my mill.

Thanks