Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help in identifying wood

Help in identifying wood

I was given a slab of wood that is about 9' long by 21" deep by 3.25" thick from my neighbor and I thought it would be fun to restore the wood and make a workbench out of it. I sent an email to a few of my family and friends asking if they knew what kind of wood I was given. A few thought it was Oak, my father disagrees, however does not know what it is. I asked a wood smith and he agreed it is definitely not oak, maybe a maple or pine. Can anyone help identify this slab of wood?

Attached are two additional photos that I'm hoping to use as a guide in creating my table legs. I'm playing with the idea of doing four table legs but using the same concept. The only downfall I can see is the horizontal support beams might get in the way when sitting on a bench. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bench.jpg   bench1.jpg   Wells-Table.jpg   Bexley-Table.jpg  

Welcome Ian !!

Looks like maple to me.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Welcome to the Family, Ian!

Bob might be right but my first thought was cherry. But, I'm no whiz at identifying wood types.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I'm with Bob. It looks like maple to me.

The trestle design you show is a time-honored, and solid one. Wedged tenons on the stretcher will keep it tight and solid for many generations to come. If you put the stretcher about halfway up, it might be an occasional knee-banger when seated, but most folks won't scoot their chair that far under the table for it to be a problem.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

what is it coated with? take a plane and scuff off some of the coating in the heart wood area or your sander.. the sap wood looks like it could be cherry but not brown enough for the age of it, and i havnt seen maple turn red??
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Well i'm no expert by any means, but after looking at the first pics a number of times, all i'm seeing is pine.

How heavy is it? If it takes 3 men and a boy to lift it it's probably maple. If it's light it's pine. The knots do look like pine, but the scraped edge looks like maple or possibly cherry.

I think it's got finish on it. That's way it looks reddish
    Faith, Hope & Charity

well if its finished then i go to pine too but the knot pattern isnt close enough for the pine we have, every 20" up the tree is a knot unless its really old growth

anyone out there seen any hemlock or doug fir in slabs? that would get the lighter sap wood and the dark heart wood?

Ian post where you live it may be that this is some more regonal wood rather than wood from our back door. I agree it looks like a hardwood but the knots speak of pine. I can't tell for sure unlesswe know more. Nice piece of wood though.

Larry as to it being hemlock well it's got the knots like that but I've yet to see any of the wood come that dark. I would doubt it is that. Hemlock is a bit softer than pine in my opinion and it clearly looks much harder to me. That's my thoughts.