Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Question.

Shipping Question.

those of you who have shipped items or materials , either as a favor or as a job perhaps,, i am looking for a good site to get quotes on shipping. done a search for freightquote.com and got a couple hits where the shipper got hit for alot more than the orginal quote.. i dont need that, also can one ship wood threw UPS with just banding not wrapped in cardboard? thanks for any advice given.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

With regard to the UPS question, I was told no but they would wrap it for a fee a couple of years ago. That was a UPS store. The kicker was that the cost included your first and second born!

Bottom line, there is nothing cheap about shipping. You are charged distance, weight and volume. The other day a 3 oz. #10 (business size) envelope cost me $1.50 and I drove it to the post office! If there is a bargain out there, it has eluded me for decades. And the higher fuel goes, well, you get the idea. And shipping is a cost that some how some way the end consumer will pay. Free shipping offers are not free. The costs are just hidden elsewhere. Nothing we can do about that.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I have ordered wood before online.

They will ship it ups, but the ones I've gotten were actually boxed, and were cut down to meet the UPS max weight/dimension requirements.

I've also ordered a larger quantity that was shipped freight that worked out fine for me. It was banded together, with boards on the bottom that made it able for pallet forks to pick it up. The boards were 12' long. Their quote was accurate, It seemed expensive, but shipping is what shipping is...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Larry,

My oldest son has a foreign car parts business (very expensive boy toys---Jaguars are the cheapie cars he deals with). He does a high volume of UPS. He pays a fraction of what it would cost me. So, the moral to this story is for you to ship 30,000 board feet per week to get a lower shipping rate.

Anything else you need to know, just ask me.

Enjoy,

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I shipped a few chunks of wood around Christmas. They were about 50 pounds each and were roughly cube shaped. I took a cardboard box and cut it to the shape of each piece and taped the fool out of it. I went to one of the local Fed/Ex/UPS stores and they wanted something crazy like 70 bucks each. I ended up going to the Fed/Ex hub and got them shipped for right at 28 each, still not cheap but better than 70. I asked that since it was a solid chunk of wood could I have just shrink wrapped it and stuck a label on it. They told me it had to be in a box.

thanks for the help. i can get a UPS guy at work but i dont know if that would be cheaper or not than a ups store like carol mentioned.. we dont use fed/x at work i can ship real freight threw R&L which do us well at work..will have to check on Fed/X
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

The UPS store WILL be more expensive. Think of their overhead. If you have access to a 'hub' for either UPS or FedEx, it will be less. You will probably find that shipping from your place of work to be the less expensive, if you have that privilege. Depends on what your place of business usually ships. Be upfront with your shipper. Ask for the best option for your customers.
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

And I'm sure you know this, but it's generally cheaper if the person you are shipping to is a business. IF not, it's also cheaper to just have them pick it up at the depot.

I've learned, at least for me, I'd generally much rather just go pick stuff up at the depot than have it trucked out to the house, but then I do have a pickup truck...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails If-you-fits,-you-ships.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

There is a big difference between a parcel and freight. UPS is a parcel service - no equipment on the truck, no fork lift, can run through sorting machines, can be carried by one delivery man. I don't know the rules, but I know you cannot have a 6 foot (or 12 foot) piece of lumber, and I believe the package must be under 70 pounds.

A freight item, whether carried by a trucker or UPS Freight or FedEx Freight is a different game - think fork lift, and go from there. The last time I got some lumber shipped to me, the dealer had negotiated a 83% discount - only paid 17% of the price I would have had to pay. Don't expect to get a good price if you are not a volume shipper.

An option that sounds attractive, that I have only used once, is www.uship.com - You describe what you want to ship, from where, to where, when, and the truckers with space will bid on it. Whether it be a room of furniture, a motorcycle, a live horse that has to be walked every 6 hours, or what. I specified a blanket wrapped piece of custom furniture, delivered upstairs in NYC, etc. Great service at a good price. I have wondered what response I would get if I specified a couple hundred board feet of lumber, up to 10 feet long, must be kept dry, 1000 pounds, etc. etc.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com