Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my first pair

Amherst, New Hampshire

Looking for my first pair

Of steel toed work boots.

I've always worn sneakers or regular work boots in my shop. Dropped a few things on my foot from time to time but no big deal.

Until yesterday........I brought a beautiful piece of 5/4 13" wide X 10 foot long curly maple (wood gloat coming in another thread) from my garage to my basement shop. Making a long story short, one end caught on the step of my ladder and when it slipped off the other end fell out of my hands and landed across my toes. Xray showed I fractured both bones in the big toe. My right foot looks like its been painted black from the bruising. Man, it's painful.
    So, I no longer think that guys who wear steel toed boots in the shop are a bunch of sissies. In fact, I'm almost thinking about trying to remember where I put the blade guard for my table saw.......
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Delton, Michigan
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

GTA Ontario Canada
    Well Bob you can join my "sissies" club
    I took the plunge in December and treated myself to a pair. Frankly they one of the most comfortable shoes i have owned. I did get a pair of inners at the same time.

But here is another positive about it. You feel a lot more solid when you plant your feet to work a machine or at the bench.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reno NV
    What are inners?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I got my pair 65 years ago and still have em......
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Indianola, Ia about 12 miles south of Des Moines
    I wear steel toes about all the time. I bought a new pair for work, yah I work in the parts dept now but I still like them. The old pair a wear to the shop here at home. I buy my shoe off the Matco tool truck that comes to the shop at work. These are the most comfortable shoe that I have ever had while standing on concrete. They are not cheap, about $200.00 but are well worth it when you are on concrete all day. I do wear tennis shoes in the shop at home in the summer when I do some finish work.

Tellico Plains, Tennessee
    I've never worn steel toed boots, but I can and do sympathize on the broken toes... I kicked a downhole gun off a pile a few years was blocking a dock door and I just wanted to move it... I shoved it off the stack so it wouldn't block the door, it rolled back onto the foot I was standing on, hit my big toe right on the end... cracked the bone in 6 places... essentially crushed the tip of my toe... the gun only fell about 6 inches so I thought it was just mashed, until I felt the blood oozing and realized my sock was getting wet... it's been nearly 20 years and that toe is still stiff....
    Tellico Plains, TN
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Escondido, CA
    @Don....65 years? Well, maybe if you wore them...

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    My neighbor wanted a pair, but his wife said he wasn't allowed to spend the money....I heard he grew a pair and got some after-all

Central NY State
    I've had a pair of Red Wing steel toed work boots for a few years now. I just about always wear them in the shop, when I stack firewood, and always when I run the chainsaw. Certainly makes me feel safer.

I once took care of a guy who was a construction worker, had a 2,000 pound pipe fall onto his big toe, crushing it. He was weeks with daily dressing changes, oozing, a mess. He was wearing sneakers when the accident happened. He told me over and over, that if he'd been wearing steel toed boots, his toes would've been amputated. I dunno. For what we do in our shops, I think steel toes are the way to go. One bit of warning, try them on carefully, there's no give if they are tight, and if the overall boot is too heavy, you won't want to wear them.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.