New wall table

Paul Hubbman

I recently finished this black walnut table for my wife. It's about 4-1/2 feet wide and 13" deep. The top is a single piece 1-1/4" thick. The "apron" is three layers (1/8" thick each) laminated around a curved form. The apron rests in a 1/2" deep groove routed into the bottom of the top with clips holding it in that allow for seasonal movement. Concealed clips in the back edge of the top anchor into the wall studs. Near the bottom of each end of the apron, 3/16" brass pins extend 1/2" into the wall (plastic anchor sleeves driven into the plaster) to keep the apron from shifting around.

The finish is just two coats of 50/50 boiled linseed oil/mineral spirits followed by 4 coats of gel varnish.

It's surprisingly solid. I can lean on it pretty hard with no movement.

paulh

IMG_0072 cropped.jpgFoxStrand table sketch - small.jpg

Paul, I really like the overall look of this, but especially the "apron". I do have one question, what is the reasoning behind varying the top's undercut. It makes the top look thicker near the ends and thinner in the middle. I don't think it is wrong, because I like the overall look and it may be the more substantial look at the ends is a contributing aspect to why I like it. I just want to know your thought process on it.

Hah! Larry and I think alike!

Last edited:
Thats sharp paul!!! now is it my eyes or do you have the taper thinner in frnt than on the sides???

The taper is thinner at the center than at the sides. The idea was to mimic the geometry of the apron, which is also taller at the sides than in the center. It's a pretty "organic" piece. I think a consistent bevel across the full width of the top would have looked odd. The only straight line on the piece is the top surface and the back edge where it mounts to the wall.

Thanks for the compliments. There is a lot of great work shown on this site - this is just something a little different.

paulh