a new place to sell

Frank Fusco

I had to go out of town yesterday to pick my wife up from the airport after a long vacation. On the way back she wanted to stop at a winery. We stopped. While browsing around I spotted a large display of novelty bottle stoppers. I asked the clerk if they sold many. He said yes. I mentioned I made stoppers from woood by turning them. He got very interested. Turns out he is the manager/buyer. He said he does laser engraving on the side and has been looking for something he can put the store name on. He asked for me to send samples. I plan to bring in person.
Point is, ye never know when an opportunity will hit. I was really more just making conversation and got a potential lead for what could be an ongoing small income opportunity. Can be same with almost any item, not just wood turnings.
Sure glad I got a huge, 43" lathe so I can make bottle stoppers. :rofl:

Frank if he can do the engraving make him some wine boxes.

Make them so the lid is seperate so he can easily engrave the lid with their logo and the customers name.

I make and engrave these so any questions just ask.

I make a very cheap shipping type box. With an engraved lid I get $45. You could make low cost boxes or a high cost fine piece of wood work type box.

Frank if he can do the engraving make him some wine boxes.

Make them so the lid is seperate so he can easily engrave the lid with their logo and the customers name.

I make and engrave these so any questions just ask.

I make a very cheap shipping type box. With an engraved lid I get $45. You could make low cost boxes or a high cost fine piece of wood work type box.

Now, that is very interesting. :champagne: Could you post a pic or two? Do you put in dividers?

The wineries around here make almost as much money off of the gift shop as they do selling retail wine. Their main money is on wholesale but they do like to have that retail showroom and advertising pieces. I have done quite a few wine racks for single and multiple bottles, nothing fancy just a wine rack but of course it had THEIR name on it. For the Ravenwood winery they had a large clothing sales area and I made a couple of silhouettes out of wood to place the garments on, the head had their logo on it. Sorry no pix but ya' get the idea. Once you are in the door with your stoppers - make a few samples of other stuff and go for it. I wish I was a good enough cabinet maker because ALL of the winery shops here have wonderful cabinets in them. And yes Oregon has a couple of wineries LOL. Russ