Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone dust bin level sensor

Cyclone dust bin level sensor

I had a big long post wrote when I tried to submit it it disappeared, so
    There are commercial sensors
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventory.asp?CatId={4CA9A078-61CB-463F-B843-8C681E38534F}
    http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Le...riesDBLM/Intro

and various home made ones Ive seen.

What do you guys use? My cyclone is upstairs in the garage so I need some type of sensor

I have a Clearvue Cyclone and use the MCRabbet bin sensor. Not sure if it will work with you brand, but Rob could tell you for sure.
    My review of the bin sensor is located at: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Bull...ghlight=sensor

Shouldn't matter what brand cyclone, a chip bin is a chip bin. The sensor just needs power to work. I was going to send you to McRabbet also when I saw the thread title. I'm just a day behind. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

From what I saw the McRabbet system uses garage door sensors across the flex hose at the bottom of the cyclone. I made my own cyclone from Pentz plans so it's essentially the same as a clearvue, but due to ceiling height there is not any room to put it. I was thinking of putting a window in the lid and installing a photocell about 8" down inside the dust bin so when the dust covers the photocell it signals me.

I ended up buying a oneida dust sentry, I was about to mount it in the dust bin lid when it stopped working. I had tried it out a few times just to see how far the sensor was set for and I was explaining how it worked to my wife and plugged it in to show her and nothing happened. I called oneida and they sent me a new one right away, I didn't even need to send the old one back. This was my first purchase from Oneida and I am happy with their customer service. One thing that was weird was when I was on tech support asking about how to remote mount the strobe light the tech guy said to make sure I ground the sensor or static can build up and zap the circuit inside of it. The instructions didn't say anything about that.

Nothing, I've only overflowed the bin three times in the last month so I must like vacuuming filters

I was looking at the dust sentry with a slightly more clued friend last week and we found this:
    http://www.sparkfun.com/products/242
    As best as we can tell this is pretty much the same thing the oneida uses. It appears that with that and a $20 relay and some salvaged parts a bin full sensor may be in my future (I haven't ordered any parts yet because he says he has some parts that we can probably use but needs to find it),

I am 98% sure this is what Oneida uses.
    http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Le...ctive/SeriesPS

The Oneida uses a 24v power supply with the level sensor as a switch and a 24v led strobe. No other circuit as far as I saw.

Bought oneida sentry- have problems- only 90 day warranty

I bought an Oneida sentry bin sensor and the had problems with it. The second one is now not working consistently either. It flashes when the barrel is half full and the sensor is dialed in to blink when the dust is 3" from the top. For $160 and only having a 90 day warranty, something seems wrong here. Oneida is not very confident in their product apparently.

Have you talked with Oneida Tech Support?
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

Is there dust buildup on the sensor? I noticed some buildup on mine. When I am planning wood the sensor will flash periodically before its full, but just 1 flash. Maybe try grounding the sensor? A tech support guy told me to do that to protect the sensor from static.