Cherry Kitchen Cabinet Design Ideas

Robert Black

I am looking at remodeling my kitchen and building Cherry Kitchen Cabinets. I am at the beginning design/ idea stage. When looking for material, Cherry Veneer is so expensive, I am looking at what might be the most attractive least expensive options for the carcasses and shelves. I could go melamine, but I only see melamine with particle board, which I am not crazy about. I could go Birch Plywood.

Does anyone have any recommendation to keep the cost down for the Carcass and Shelves yet still look attractive. I can almost buy Cherry Wood for less than what they want for Cherry Plywood around here.

I noticed HD sells what it calls a furniture grade plywood with blonde wood. Any thoughs on that.

Also to save money would you put venneer between the cabinets, which is not seen?

And lastly if i used plywood with venneer on it, for the end cabnets would you cherry venneeer over the other veneer or add 1/4" plywood with cherry veneer over the other plywood?

Last edited:
Robert,

Welcome.

Where you located? Perhaps there is a Family member close? You can add that info in the 'User CP' section.

For the carcasses and shelves I used pre-finished maple ply. NOVA is the brand. There is also the same pre-finished stock for drawer sides and ply 'stick on' banding for the shelves. The finish is really tough. Great for the wear surfaces like inside drawers and shelves. It's also nice and bright so the lower cabs don't look like black holes. :)

These products can be found at a good hardwood supplier. This is not BORG stuff! Find out where the commercial cabinet shops get their wood and shop there.

If you are using face frames, that can be cherry. If you are going with frameless, you'll have to trim the edges with cherry. Not a big deal once you get a method down.

What style doors are you doing?

At the end of a run of cabinets you can add a panel to finish the casing to look like it is all the same. Here is where you need the cherry veneer ply. 1/4in. is thick enough.

I like the HD 'furniture' grade ply, some don't. Best selling point - it's cheap! Great for shop cabs. Might be OK for kitchen but you'll have to do the finish.

Good luck and keep asking questions. And of course we want to see pictures!! :)

Another vote for the pre-finished maple ply. Around here the pre-finished birch goes for $66 and the maple for $86. Cherry ply a little bit more and you have to finish it yourself. It's a great work saver and the finish is durable and is a good choice for the inside of cabinets where you are using solid doors. Where you use glass doors you should go with the cherry ply.

PS. Welcome!

Sorry Justin, but your post sure did look way too commercial for a first-time poster. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and all that. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking at remodeling my kitchen and building Cherry Kitchen Cabinets. I am at the beginning design/ idea stage. When looking for material, Cherry Veneer is so expensive, I am looking at what might be the most attractive least expensive options for the carcasses and shelves. I could go melamine, but I only see melamine with particle board, which I am not crazy about. I could go Birch Plywood.

It would depend on what you want the inside of the cabinet to look like. I've done many kitchen cabinets and commercial cabinetry, for doctors offices and such using melamine for the boxes. If its fabricated correctly, its a very sturdy cabinet. The melamine surface is a finished durable surface and won't wear like a topcoated veneer plywood. I use dadoes and rabbets just like for ¾" plywood, but I machine to an ⅛" depth which allows for a good glue joint and fasteners. The exterior of whatever will be exposed can be veneered.

Using prefinished plywood can get scratched up in the fabrication process.

For edging, you can use an iron on wood tape, or cut solid wood strips, or buy veneer and cut your own strips. For exterior surfacing, ¼" veneered plywood can be used. You could also use a paper backed veneer and use solvent based contact cement.

MikesMasterLogo2.gif

movingplane1.gif