Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Splay Leg Table - Waiting for the Shellac to Cure

Splay Leg Table - Waiting for the Shellac to Cure

Last Fall I took another week long class with Garrett Hack at the Port Townsend School of Woodworking. Another great class with Garrett, where he showed us how to build his splay leg table. You can go to the schools blog and see photo's of the class. You need to flip back to the older posts (Oct 7 & Sept 15th) to see the blogs concerning this class. I am finally getting around to finishing up the project. I have been busy at work and of course my bench build, so this has been sitting a while. I have not glued anything up yet, as I want to put some "socks" on the legs. I am thinking of using some Bubinga or Ebony that I have on hand for the "socks". Problem is that I have a couple of options with the "socks" and can not make a decision. One uses the splay angle (on the right) which makes the sock top level with the floor even though it might not look like it in the photos, while the other uses an angle greater than the splay angle to give it an angled look. I took some construction paper and worked up these mock ups. Of course the "socks" will be on all four legs.So what looks good to you?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0688.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	64796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0690.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	64797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0691.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	64798
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 04-10-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

They both look good, but I'd go with the splay as the "level" look compliments the clean lines of the table to my untrained eye.
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

I definitely prefer keeping the sock top level with the floor. The more angled design is certainly eye catching, but it leaves me off balance.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

another vote for level with the floor,, another thought on this is the table resembles a shaker style to me and they wouldnt have made it any prettier than just simple splay bill.. sometimes to much sugar for a dime"_
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    I definitely prefer keeping the sock top level with the floor. The more angled design is certainly eye catching, but it leaves me off balance.
    Ken put my thoughts perfectly.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    +1 for level
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I like level too

Nice work on the table. It looks like a challenge to build. I did the plans for Garrett's version with the spinning drawer. Working out the angles for the ends of the aprons was an interesting exercise what with those legs that are tapered from the top.

I think I like the socks the way Garrett designed them. They seem to give the table a bit of an uplift.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Thanks everyone for your input, but I just asked my wife and she likes the socks with the slight angle. Now I really don't know what to do! This table is just a prototype, so I might just use the angled socks. I plan on making another table right after this with better wood as a gift to someone. It might be this same design or Garrett's Spinner Table.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Nice work on the table. It looks like a challenge to build. I did the plans for Garrett's version with the spinning drawer. Working out the angles for the ends of the aprons was an interesting exercise what with those legs that are tapered from the top.

I think I like the socks the way Garrett designed them. They seem to give the table a bit of an uplift.
    Actually Dave, it seems more complicated than it ends up being. The key is using your sliding bevel gauge to capture the splay angle that is pleasing to your eye and marking it on a spare piece of wood or your workbench so you don't lose the angle. You just have to remember that the splay angle affects many elements of the build. A good example is, if you want to have a drawer in the apron you have to remember to cut the opening at the splay angle or your drawer will not slide in parallel with the floor, but at an angle which might interfere with the top.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

You're quite right Bill. Of course drawing it in 3D for the plans made all that clear.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly