Pegboard hooks

Tom Baugues

I've added some 1/4" pegboard to my shop. I've been shopping around for good hooks to use and have found them to be rather expensive in my opinion. I also see lots of the plastic hooks available. Has anyone used the plastic hooks and do the break easy or will they hold up ok?

I picked up a wad of plastic hooks a couple of years ago when Lowe's had them dirt cheap on closeout. They work fine for a lot of stuff as long as you don't put anything too heavy on them (kinda goes without saying, but I said it anyway).

I've run into some good bargains on steel pegboard hooks at Big Lots, but you can't depend on them having them routinely.

Like Bill I picked up a bunch of plastic ones on clearance at Lowe's. OK for an object of light weight and they have a little locking pin so they don't try to escape. For serious stuff I use the Talon versions that are probably the pricey ones you mention. Never broken one and my Incra miter gauge with fence go on and off a long pair many times a day. I also use the ones that look like this

180-794 Single Hook 8 copy.jpg

for multiple spring clamps or whatever without an issues to date.

Last edited:
How many are you looking for Tom? I have a bunch I can spare, all metal heavy duty ones:)

Thank you Tom and everyone else for your suggestions. I bought a "starter set" tonight. It was kind of funny. I have all this stuff just laying around on my bench. As soon as I started putting these hooks up, I found something to hang on them. Guess I'm going to need another starter set. :rofl:

Guess I'm going to need another starter set. :rofl:
And so it begins . . . :D. I know a lot of people poo-poo pegboard due to bad experiences with poorly supported board or poor hooks but, they definitely have their place.

Attachments

• Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (11).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (11).jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (39).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (39).jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (32).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (32).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    Shop Tour 2011-10-19 (34).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 36
tom, walk into any store that is closing or has a going out of business sign, and ask them if you can buy some peghooks. I sold buckets of them at 5 cents a piece. (and most complained about that price)
Peghooks are old school style, all the new stores are using grid walls or slat walls, and buying new hooks, so most have piles of them in their storage/basement.

Traditional, good quality 1/4" peg board hooks can be hard to find and are much more limited in styles than they used to be. Those from Diamond Life look interesting. The local Craftsman store has a nice selection multi-pack on close out this week. Don't know if that's nation wide or not.

Stay away from any for 1/8" pegboard or those that claim to fit both 1/4" and 1/8" pegboard. They will not stay put and generally come off the board with the tool.

Tom

Traditional, good quality 1/4" peg board hooks can be hard to find and are much more limited in styles than they used to be. Those from Diamond Life look interesting. The local Craftsman store has a nice selection multi-pack on close out this week. Don't know if that's nation wide or not.

Stay away from any for 1/8" pegboard or those that claim to fit both 1/4" and 1/8" pegboard. They will not stay put and generally come off the board with the tool.

Tom
It is getting harder to actually find 1/4" pegboard anymore. I picked up hangers some from a garage sale from someone who worked at that (the posted KC store) or a similar store (used to be down the street), and am remodeling my shop. I was wondering if anyone ever used zip ties to secure the hooks in the pegboard?

It is getting harder to actually find 1/4" pegboard anymore. I picked up hangers some from a garage sale from someone who worked at that (the posted KC store) or a similar store (used to be down the street), and am remodeling my shop. I was wondering if anyone ever used zip ties to secure the hooks in the pegboard?

Im almost certain very few people want quality 1/4 inch pegboard anymore. When I sold my business in 2010, I had top quality 1/4 pegboard that was used as backing in the stores gondolas. I posted on craigslist I had 250 sheets of perfect board , 4 foot sheet, and 3 foot sheets(most 4 feet wide), and I did not have one taker for free, I offered it all for free, not a single person responded. I had a few people interested who came down for other items, and let them take as much as they wanted. Gave a bit to some other building owners who were using it in their basement workshops, but most of it went into the trash.
When I went into home depot a bit after that, I noticed the pegboard sheets werent anywhere as strong as the gondola backs I offered for free. Shame though, along with a thousand feet of beautiful 9-12 inch wide pine, I cringed when it was thrown into the dump truck.