computer techies

At the moment I use an air card to get my internet in the shop. I have internet service in house with a wireless modum. I have a weak signal at the shop,but no signal inside. I have been told that I can get another modum and hook into the phone line in the shop and have service here also. I have also been told that it will not work. Will it work and if it will not what are my other options that are cheap?

Don't know about the added modem but I have used and know Darrel uses a product that plugs into the wall recept. where your computer is at and also where your remote computer is at and uses your existing 110 V wiring to give you internet access. Works great and I believe I have less then $100 invested in the whole thing.

Don't know if it would work for you or not, but using my laptop in the shop that is about 100' from my wireless router got 1 out of 5 bars on the signal strength. Enough to work, but I couldn't watch a video to save my life. I got one of these dongles http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180079 from New Egg for 15 bucks and now get 5 out of 5 bars. Perfect video streaming. For the price, it might be worth trying. OH, almost forgot, I also put 2 10 db high gain antennas on the router. That didn't help the reception any by itself. I think the antennas were about 20.00 for the pair. Jim.

My main router is an Apple "Airport Extreme" multi band (used on a Windoze system), and a hundred feet - and half a dozen walls - away, I have an Apple "Airport Express" mini router/repeater plugged in in the shop. On Wireless "N" I'm getting 130 mps signal strength. The "Extreme" cost me nearly $200, and replaced a failing old Linksys router. The "Express" was just under a hundred bucks. With the results I got, I'm pretty happy.

I'd say Darren would be your best bet on this as he's been dealing with a very similar situation...

If you have DSL, I do not think you can just connect two DSL modems on the same line and have it work.

I bet Darren will chime in soon...

Rex, I'm not sure about the second dsl modem without having to pay for service there too. Typically the modems have id/password setup that allows only one login, but I could be wrong as I haven't dealt with dsl much.

Since my shop is fed off the main panel at the house, I've been using some Netgear Powerlink adapters that broadcast through the electrical lines to get an ethernet connection up to my shop. They are secure/encrypted devices, so no one will be able to pickup the signal and get on your network once they pair up.

At the shop end I have a second linksys router with the wan port plugged into the powerlink device. The trick is to use a different subnet on the second router. So if your primary router uses say 192.168.1.x as it's primary address. The second router will have a subnet of 192.168.2.x so that it won't conflict with the primary network.

Another option is simply a wifi repeater. It picks up a weak signal from your primary wifi router and amplifies it, which may work if you have any signal at all at the shop. I have steel siding, so no signal gets through.

Just did a quick search and they make a powerline with a wifi extender on it. Again, it may not work if your shop panel is not fed from your main at the house.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Power...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1328672619&sr=1-1

Ok so i am still back in the days of wagons and horses but rf etc aint all its cracked up to be inmho.
So....i have a real cheap solution for you if you like.
Go old school. Get the router from Jim...thats free right....then check out your phone cable to the shop.
There are more strands in that cable than what are needed or used for telephone.
When the networks are hardwired they use category 5 and up cable but again there are way more wires in those cables than what is need for a straight forward link.
Sooooo if you gave a multicore telephone connection to shop then consider taking out the spares and hardwiring the "Jim" router to a spare port on the house router. Given house router is wifi there is bound to be spare network port at rear.
My old school solid connection will not be able to be hacked ...yeah call me cold war paranoia. nut...and will work like a blast and best of all is gonna cost you two rj45 connectors which if you wanna do this i would happily crimp onto some wire and send you free so all you need to do is then splice the end tails from each rj45
to the phone line spares at each end.
Now you cannot get more free than that or more solid. :)
The only issue you have is how many spare wires in that phone cable. If there aint enough you could always get some cat 5 and run a new line and in one cat 5 cable you could get your phone and modem to work and have spare.
In my case i ran an entire spare conduit to my shop at time of building it has cat 3 cat 5 and co ax for cable. call me nuts but the boy scout motto is "be prepared" :)

Let us know what you wanna do Rex i can help you work through them wires. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The electric power to the shed is fed off another transformer. I do have a 3 with ground running to the house for the 2way light switch. I can turn the outside shed lights on from in house or the shed. I ran the wire when I built the shed but never got around to hooking it until I met up with the black kitty with 2 white stripes one night. I also have I think 2 pair of extra wires in the phone cable to the shed. I have to check the back of the router to see if there is a spare port. I will also check out the Netgear Powerlink adapters.

Rex, If you log into your wireless router. Is there an option for "TX Power"?

I was looking at mine tonight and the setting was at 70. The range on it was 1 to 250 mw. I tested it at 70 and lost the signal just outside the door. I changed it to 150 and could get about half way across the yard to the house. I suspect if I boost it all the way to 250 I could get a signal at the house or visa versa.

You may take a look or post the name and model of your router and I can look to see what it's capable of for you. They don't normally set them as high as they can go so that neighbors can't borrow your internet. But most can be changed to boost the signal further if needed.

Last edited: