Roll top computer desk W.I.P.

Bryan Cowing

I want a new desk! :type:My metal desk is so cold to use, I need an electric heater under it to warm it up.:huh: I started making one based on the 1989 plan in FWW.
I have a stash of 1x4 oak I got cheap, and I got it sized to 3/4" thick and an inch longer than finished lengths. Today I set up the shaper with the cope and stick cutter set and made some progress. Panel sizes have been checked and adjusted, tomorrows task.
IMG_5396.JPG
IMG_5398.JPG
IMG_5397.JPG
IMG_5399.JPG

C'mon guys, you're wasting time with those little bags. Here ya go...

PopcornGiantBag.jpg

Looking forward to watching the build, Bryan. :thumb:

If I did another I would use a 3/8" flute cutter on my shaper, & 1/4" slot cutter instead of 2 passes on the table saw, that would cut down on a lot of passes. A 3 wing flute cutter on the shaper can hog off more wood in one pass compared to the core box router bit, which needed multiple passes to get to depth.Today I took 2 passes through the drum sander. Then touch up with a hand plane and sandpaper. Got enough for 38" of tambour.:thumb:IMG_5430.JPGIMG_5431.JPGIMG_5432.JPG

looking good bryan,, like your portable power feeder:thumb: how many hp is it?
1/6 hp Delta. Bought new back in 1986. Cost me $900 to keep my fingers. My new shaper scared the :eek: out of me

P.S. Shaper now has a 1 hp feeder, had the old 1/6 hp Delta sitting in the basement, so brought it out of retirement. Dam handy on the router table!!

Last edited: