Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello From Kentucky

Hello From Kentucky

Hi everyone,

My name is Greg Brimer and I live in Mayfield, Kentucky. I am new to woodworking but have been a machinist for 23 years. I am a little tired of working with metal so I'm going to give it a try with wood in my spare time. This site is amazing. Just so much info to take in. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge and love for woodworking.

Greg

Welcome, Greg.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    welcome
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Welcome Greg !!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Welcome from Northern Kentucky Greg

I will add another, "Welcome Greg."

However, I will add that my oldest son is also Greg.

I don't know you and I don't know what you know about woodworking, however I will pass on one piece of advice (that you probably know anyway). My dad was a white collar person. One of his hobbies was working with metal. We were pretty good buddies so I was around him in the shop a lot. I never got into metal working, however a lot of it rubbed off on to me.

One of the hardest things for me to learn (I hear it, I know it, I understand it. But it never became part of my persona.). Wood is not like metal. The tolerances are very different. Wood is organic and it has a mind of its own; it shrinks, expands, twists and has all kinds of fun that metal misses out on. A hundredth of an inch in woodworking is nothing---It might as well be all of the way to the moon in some metal working.

End of sermon. Be as precision as you can and don't get ulcers when you cannot.

Enjoy and welcome to the FWW again.

JimB
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    I will add another, "Welcome Greg."

However, I will add that my oldest son is also Greg.

I don't know you and I don't know what you know about woodworking, however I will pass on one piece of advice (that you probably know anyway). My dad was a white collar person. One of his hobbies was working with metal. We were pretty good buddies so I was around him in the shop a lot. I never got into metal working, however a lot of it rubbed off on to me.

One of the hardest things for me to learn (I hear it, I know it, I understand it. But it never became part of my persona.). Wood is not like metal. The tolerances are very different. Wood is organic and it has a mind of its own; it shrinks, expands, twists and has all kinds of fun that metal misses out on. A hundredth of an inch in woodworking is nothing---It might as well be all of the way to the moon in some metal working.

End of sermon. Be as precision as you can and don't get ulcers when you cannot.

Enjoy and welcome to the FWW again.

JimB
    Jim thanks for the welcome. It will be hard not to try and get everything to thousands of a inch LOL. I am used to holding .0003 on a Brown and Sharp O.D grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hans View Post
    Welcome from Northern Kentucky Greg
    Thanks Charles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammad Madha View Post
    Welcome, Greg.
    Thanks Mohammad.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    welcome
    Thanks Don.