Cypress Logging circa 1925

Thanks for posting Tom-very interesting. Sure is a lot different from northeastern looging from the same era. Bet that wood is beautiful.

Having worked logging in my younger days and still cutting trees for logs and firewood I can sure appreciate the danger of such an occupation. Logging from a canoe looks quite challenging. Then there is the snakes and alligators, bugs, and heat. Sure is different than logging in the North. We used to joke that we had to dig out the trees in the winter in order to cut them down. I worked for a few years clearing log jambs from rivers. That was fun and challenging. We had a rule that if you fell in or went over your waders, you had to buy a case of beer for the crew. Never had to buy any but sure enjoyed drinking a few "dunk beers" after work.

I didn't notice any fat guys standing around "supervising"??? Apply today's advances in medicine to that "routine" level of physical exertion and we'd all live to be 100 :). I just came in from drilling holes and setting a few screws with my drill motor and my back hurts a bit :D:D:D

Definitely NO OSHA.

It looks like they wasted as much wood as they harvested. The ecology people of today would absolutely go out of their skull about that.

There was a lot of brain work that went into making up for the lack of today's machinery.

I am thankful that I was not born in that era. I would not have lived to age 87 for sure.

Thanks for the show.

Enjoy,

JimB

Glad y'all enjoyed the videos. I sure did!

Not Many of the giants left these days. It's such a shame that they completely deforested the south.

Attachments

• image-1344079962.jpg
    image-1344079962.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image-1155133710.jpg
    image-1155133710.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image-2319191141.jpg
    image-2319191141.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 26
61792990Large.jpg

cartreeLarge.jpg