Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuff, Stuff, Stuff

Stuff, Stuff, Stuff

This week I decided to be more systematic about the layout and organization of my shop. I began making a list of items that were taking up floor space in the shop and their dimensions. I put down as many things as I could think of and grabbed a tape measure to start taking dimensions.

As I headed out of the office. I saw a few things I forgot, and wrote them down.

Started working down the list taking measurements, saw a few other things I had not thought of, and wrote them down.

Stepped to the North side of the shop, saw a few other things I had not thought of, and wrote them down.

This went on for a few other sections of the shop. I ended up with 3 more pages in the tablet.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

And that right there is why I gave up trying to work out a shop floor plan with Sketchup. Last time I did that exercise, I had scale drawings for each of the major tools, and all I was able to achieve was to show on paper that it was impossible to fit my tools in the shop, despite the fact that I already HAD all the tools in the shop.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm not even going to bother. All I try to do now is to get rid of anything out there sucking up floor space I don't need. If I do need it, it goes on wheels....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Youre going to be evaluating if some tools can handle the humitity of the greenhouse arent you?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I am thinking about what 'machine' I'll be sacrificing to monitor the greenhouse microclimate

Will definitely be wanting to set something up to track a number of variables like ambient air temp, humidity, heat sink temperature, etc...
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

vaughn, that reminds me of the one and only time i watched my sister clean out her purse. it was like watching a live version of the scene in love happy (marx brothers last movie), where the finally empty harpo's trenchcoat, and wind up with a small mountain of stuff that could not have possibly been in there. after about a half hour (and i could be wrong, could have been longer), she finally pulled the last item out of her purse. she then proceeded to throw away a good, heavy 2/3 of the stuff, and then found that she could not fit the remaining 1/3 back in the purse. i walked away quickly, so that i could laugh until i fell over....
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Darren i decided Allen has the right idea. Make it all mobile. Then move out the way what is not needed or being used on current project.
    Thats my plan

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Darren i decided Allen has the right idea. Make it all mobile. Then move out the way what is not needed or being used on current project.
    Thats my plan

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, just goes to show that even when you have a lot of space, you never have enough. We're like goldfish, we grow to fit the space.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Thats my plan
    Eventually though it gets so you can't roll the piece in the back around the 3 or 4 or 6 in front of it and end up having to pull everything out into the driveway, which isn't easy if it weight 800 or 1000 lbs and then you can't figure out how it all fit in there originally and are left with three pieces that don't fit.

I vigorously deny that this has actually happened to me (so far) and refute any of my friends claims that it is likely (yet).

I have had sort of the opposite experience with sketchup and layout as Vaughn, it all LOOKS good on paper (computer)..

I'm pretty sure the correct answer is just a sufficiently large shop and then its moot. Its like the old saying "you can never be to lucky, to rich, have to many hand planes, or have a large enough shop".

I would settle for just the large shop.
    cheers