Yew box

Drew Watson

I recieved some Yew wood a few months ago and I have determined this is by far my favorite wood to work with. I just love the way the wood works and finishes. I turned this as a bowl but then started thinking of how to make it more interesting so i added a lid. The lid even thouigh from the same wood the grains were all wrong so I came up with painting the outside and finishing the inside with a wipe on poly my lovely wife suggested the ball on top with the same grain pattern to tie it all together. Like most of the things i turn the shape just came to me while I was turning it. Same with the lid. I had a few woops but will not mention it as it all worked out pretty good I think.

Yew wood box 001 - Copy.jpgYew wood box 008 - Copy.jpgYew wood box 010 - Copy.jpgYew wood box 013 - Copy.jpg

Very nice Drew real good idea the knob and painting. I have a fascination with yew since i learnt it was the wood long bows are made of.
Sorry to hear of your loss Feb seems to be the month for this across the board. We have had two deaths in our family this month. Seems all we get from far away lately is bad news :(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the kind words, thoughts and prayers for my Aunt. She passed in her sleep.

The paint I used was just a can of spray paint that I picked up. nothing high quality just a low end paint. We were thinking of doing india ink or as i have done in the past a felt marker, but thought the spray paint would get a better result. I am no painter by any means and i kind of hate painting any wood ( unless it will inhance the project) so I have no idea what is the best type to use.

Drew that is a cool looking piece. I like the wood/color combo. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Drew. Know what you are going thru as my wife just lost her 57 yr old brother a week ago.

The only thing I see wrong with the box is that you didn't sign the bottom. ;) I like the painted lid and the way knob pulls it all together visually.

Sorry to hear of your family's loss.