Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sherwin Williams Shurwood precat lacquer

Sherwin Williams Shurwood precat lacquer

I got tired of using minwax lacquer for my projects and decided to try something else, hopefully better. I went to sherwin williams and they have a whole line of product finishes for professionals. I asked about lacquers and polyurethanes and the guy gave me a gallon of shurwood precat lacquer to try. I did't have to pay a dime for it. I am about ready to start spraying some tables and was wondering how long I can let precat lacquer sit in the spray gun. I know with nitro lacquer I can basically leave it in the gun practically forever. Do I need to clean out the gun between coats, I will probably do 3 coats they may not be all the same day though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    I got tired of using minwax lacquer for my projects and decided to try something else, hopefully better. I went to sherwin williams and they have a whole line of product finishes for professionals. I asked about lacquers and polyurethanes and the guy gave me a gallon of shurwood precat lacquer to try. I did't have to pay a dime for it. I am about ready to start spraying some tables and was wondering how long I can let precat lacquer sit in the spray gun. I know with nitro lacquer I can basically leave it in the gun practically forever. Do I need to clean out the gun between coats, I will probably do 3 coats they may not be all the same day though.
    Dave,

From the Sherwin Williams web site:

SHER-WOODŽ Hi-Bild Pre-Cat Lacquer

SHER-WOODŽ Hi-Bild PreCat Lacquer is a fast drying, high performance, higher solids precatalyzed lacquer for the kitchen and bath cabinetry and the general wood finishing market. After catalyzation, it provides 4 months pot life as a PreCat lacquer,.

Don't know if you can use it without catalyst. If you can then I am sure the pot life would be a good bit longer.

Jack

I have the non hi bild, which is 6 month pot life, I was wondering if there would be problems leaving it in the spray gun for a couple days while I am spraying.

dave i have used SW precat and have left it in the gun during the time i needed it a couple days but usually i take and pour off the remainder into a glass jar and then do rinse of the can and the then spray out some thinner to clean the tips the holes have plugged on me from not doing so.. i have since switched to ml cambell and like there magna lac much better and am going to try there magna max next..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I have the non hi bild, which is 6 month pot life, I was wondering if there would be problems leaving it in the spray gun for a couple days while I am spraying.
    Here's the Product Data Sheet. It says to clean all equipment immediately after use.

Edit: Larry was posting as I was looking up the PDS. Like him, I have left pre-cat in the gun when I'm spraying multiple items or coats in a day's time. I clean the gun at the end of the day as a precaution.
    Last edited by Bill Arnold; 02-12-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member and Member of Mensa
    My Weather Underground station

I didn't think there would be an issue leaving it in the gun for a few hours or overnight but I thought I would ask first, the guy at sherwin williams didn't seem to know. I would like to try ml cambell but as far as I know nobody around here carries it. I looked on their site for a dealer and the closest was 2 hours or more away. I don't recall seeing a place that sells it online.

I didn't think there would be an issue leaving it in the gun for a few hours or overnight but I thought I would ask first, the guy at sherwin williams didn't seem to know. I would like to try ml cambell but as far as I know nobody around here carries it. I looked on their site for a dealer and the closest was 2 hours or more away. I don't recall seeing a place that sells it online.
    dont you just love it when the sales guy doesnt know his product had the same trouble with a SW guy near me and then found the ml cambell products and they knew there product!!
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I would rather have a salesman who admits that he doesn't know than a salesman who answers with certainty, except his answer is different than the other salesman's answers, and different than the instructions.

I have gone to water based finishes, but I have a friend who uses precat lacquer, and leaves it in the gun "indefinitely." As a pro, he is probably spraying something every few days, but he does not empty the gun.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

I want to use water borne. I asked sherwin Williams about water borne and they said it wasn't that good but I couldn't refuse the free gallon. If I remember right Charlie uses target em6000. I think that's what I want to try

Dave, I used to spray gallons and gallons of SW precat with a 2.5gal pressure pot. I might go a week without spraying and only cleaned the system about every other fillup (and truth be known, I probably missed a few of those) with no problem. I have a pot left over with black lacquer in it, been there for about 3 years now and I just fired it up and shot a small project with it the other day, no problem. Love lacquer. By the way, in case they did not mention, I used to thin mine about 50% for great results.