Well the old axe handle I made in 2004 was getting pretty worn down, mostly from some bad hits over the years. It failed catastrophically yesterday, fortunately with the head broken off embedded in a chunk of firewood. I buy my firewood split, but usually split it further before burning to have more choices loading the woodstove. Old handle on the left, replacement as a WIP on the right.
So I took a piece of white oak, and using drawknife, spokehaves and rasp [oh yeah I did use a bandsaw to get near the overall shape] I came up with a new handle. You can see some of the ray flecks. Finish is BLO.