Cheapskate box

Combined wifes{JoAnn} birthday today with valentines day... I tease her all the time about her making a poor choice marrying a poor boy :rofl:
Though she will get dinner out at her choosing{s} 2 out of the next 3 days.

Beautiful walnut compliments of Larry, Thank you sir!!!

Question for you more experienced folks...any tips/tricks on hiding glue lines such as those in the maple stripe accent?
mini-Heartbox 001.jpg mini-Heartbox 002.jpg
mini-Heartbox 007.jpg mini-Heartbox 003.jpg
mini-Heartbox 004.jpg mini-Heartbox 005.jpg
mini-Heartbox 006.jpg

what glue did you use to glue up the maple ken? if it was the brown stuff your gonna get brown line..the only suggestion i can come up with would be to disguise it with a brown wood strip in the center next time.. well done on the use of some scrap:)

No question you a wood artist and craftsman. Very nice and nice wood choice. Sure Mrs Cook will be delighted and showing all her friends this box, this aint something they can get anywhere no matter the money.:)

what glue did you use to glue up the maple ken? if it was the brown stuff your gonna get brown line..the only suggestion i can come up with would be to disguise it with a brown wood strip in the center next time.. well done on the use of some scrap:)

First...Thanks guys, she loves it!

Larry, I used Titebond liquid hide glue on the outsides of the strips and Titebond II in the center of the two pieces of maple...wondering if maybe it boils down to not cleaning up the rip marks well enough :dunno:....BTW, if that's 'scrap', can I be your janitor, it would be a highly coveted position, from the $crap$ I'm used to working for :D

Beautiful work, Ken! :thumb:

I've used TBII for maple laminations. I always run the strips through the drum sander to get them flat and even before glue-up and use a minimal amount of glue.

Ken, very nice box. Good design, real nice flocking. Excellent figure. As for the glue line, I think you're right that you need a smoother surface between the two strips of maple. I would plane or sand them well, or perhaps do the design with just one maple strip rather than two.

Ken, very nice box. Good design, real nice flocking. Excellent figure. As for the glue line, I think you're right that you need a smoother surface between the two strips of maple. I would plane or sand them well, or perhaps do the design with just one maple strip rather than two.

Thank you too Ken, yep, it really has to be my prep work I'm afraid :eek:
I did try a wider single strip in a dry fit, but got that un-nerving 'crackling' sound, don't know{haven't experimented} with wetting or steam bending..............yet :D

i would just try to get your matting surfaces smoother ken,, the steam idea could work but you have to allow for spring back and this could be done as you did it much quicker,,just need smoother glue surface..

Something like a maple strip that thin would steam in a few minutes - allow 1 hour per inch thickness. The you could glue it up with gorilla glue so the moisture would be a help, not a hindrance.

Awesome design, Ken, and the fabrication ain't too shabby either. :clap: I can see why your wife is happy to be the owner. :thumb: Larry's suggestion to hide the glue line by accentuating it with a dark strip of wood is a good one. That's what I've done in the past on strip laminations like that. In a case like this one, I'd make the dark strip about half the thickness of one of the maple strips. Sort of a pinstripe effect.