Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dresser support question?

dresser support question?

i have been cutting alot of pieces for these dressers i am in the process of and am about to get committ4ed to how i am gonna proceed.. as i was getting ready to cut the dust dividers parts to final size i had a question arise and thought i better ask for some thoughts before i cut them to short.. i think i can support the drawers better by having this upright in the back.. on these dressers i am running wood drawer slides underneath the drawers so the support isnt coming from the sides like on glenns.. so i think i should have this upright figured into my design.. to support the back edge,, the frnt edge will be getting a face piece attached to it like glenns..so i should be ok i think on the frnt..??? what say yeah wize ones
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back support.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	64997
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Is this piece gonna have a plywood back on it? If so, you could nail/screw the back to the back edge of each dust frame.

Otherwise, I'd use the upright support you've pictured.

You could even do both - Ain't no kill like overkill!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

hadnt thought of the obvious jim looking at having it stabilized for drawer fitting and the back would be off for that..???

but i need to get this decided before i cut the dividers to width..

If it is temporary for fitting run the web frames full depth (less the back of course). A screw through the vertical and into each frame would give you stability for fitting, remove the vertical before attaching the back. As Jim says, if your back will be ply and therefore well fastened, screws or nails through at regular intervals will probably add the support you need. If you prefer, cut your frames shy of the inside rear limit, dado your vertical support at the frame positions and tack it in place prior to attaching the back. Still another idea would be to use the vertical with dados to catch the frames and dados along its narrow edges to capture a two panel back in a traditional frame and panel sort of way . . . sorry you asked yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.jpg  
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I like Glenns idea of using the center support with the groves for two plywood pieces. I normally dont use a back support. I use 1/2" ply glue and nail it in place.

well we will stay with the support stick and one piece back.. but i like the idea of the two piece set up glenn.. now to swat a hornets nest.. what is to keep my frnt from going wonkers in time??? as i see it you and me both are relying on what is straight now will stay straight??? or do you think the face stip going at a 90 degree to the face of the divider going to do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    well we will stay with the support stick and one piece back.. but i like the idea of the two piece set up glenn.. now to swat a hornets nest.. what is to keep my frnt from going wonkers in time??? as i see it you and me both are relying on what is straight now will stay straight??? or do you think the face stip going at a 90 degree to the face of the divider going to do the trick
    Larry That same thought crossed my mind but I didn't come up with any solution other than I have never seen any used.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Larry I'm a kinda if in doubt build it stout so If I were doing it I'd put verticle pieces between the drawers on each opening like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Larry Dresser.jpg   Ld 1.jpg  
    Last edited by Don Baer; 02-12-2012 at 11:32 PM. Reason: change picture in case I didn't splain my self gud nuf
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

we are gonna go with the upright in the back and the frnt will be like the first pic don so we gotta hope for good luck on that area
    straight 3/4" ash with some 1" cherry in frnt of that will have to hold..

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    ...what is to keep my frnt from going wonkers in time??? as i see it you and me both are relying on what is straight now will stay straight??? or do you think the face stip going at a 90 degree to the face of the divider going to do the trick
    Think about the way you're building the drawers, Larry. The main load bearing surfaces are going to be on either side. The (unsupported) middle of the dust frames/dividers isn't going to have any appreciable load on it, so it shouldn't sag.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!