Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urn

Urn

Well we have gotten back from my wife's brothers services. I was called at the last minute because the family decided to have me turn a burial urn. There was no way to do it with green wood so decided to make a staved piece out of kiln dried 1 X walnut. They called me to ask on Sunday the 5th and the service was Saturday the 11th. So this one was quick but made with a lot of thought and love. It is walnut. The inside diameter is 7 1/4" and it is 8" tall. Probably could have went slightly smaller but didn't want to take a chance since we were driving 200 miles. Anyway it has a lacquer finish after being sanded to 600 grit and I burned a band on the top and bottom. The other problem I had is I had no wood that would take threads well. So improvised and use pvc threads. Wish I had went with black abs now. I wish I would have had more time but they thought it was brilliant and loved the piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails David Masons Urn 1.jpg   David Masons Urn 2.jpg  
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That is a very nice piece Bernie, and I'll bet it was very well appreciated.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nicely done, Bernie. I've also used PVC for a threaded lid, and I'd use it again over wood threads.

And condolences to your wife on the loss of her brother.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks to both. It has been a pretty trying time for her. She lost her sister at 58 a few months ago.
    Bernie W.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful piece Bernie.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Bernie, My condolences to your wife on the loss of her brother. You did a great job and the PVC doesn't look bad either. The black ABS would have blended better, but the threads are a hidden part of the design, so you can stockpile some for the next time. On that note, and I hope you don't think this insensitive, but have you considered making some urns to have on hand? Last month we lost a close friend and I felt even worse at the loss because I had nothing to offer and no time to make one. Preparing a couple of nice urns is at the top of my list now. If nothing else, it will save my family the expense

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Bernie good for you! Great job on such short notice. Only had to do one of these and i hope i never have to do enother.

Thanks again. Ted I have thought about it. I am thinking maybe 3 or 4 just to have on hand like a cherry, maple, walnut and maybe some other type of wood. It definitely saved them some expense for sure as he didn't have much money at all. The cheapest Urn the funeral home had was $1200 which he didn't have. That would have left the expense to the 2 brothers and 2 sisters. We/they did lay out money for the funeral and burial.
    Bernie W.

Very nice work Bernie sorry for the loss in the family. Seems to be we all in that phase of life when this seems to be happening all the time.

As to Urns i have long believed this is a good line given the high cost of funerals today and from the parlors point of view each time then end up swapping a burial for cremation the loose out on a coffin sale so urn has to make up the cost. I think you spinny guys could get a good thing going if you can tap into the market with the privately owned funeral homes or direct sale.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    ...I think you spinny guys could get a good thing going if you can tap into the market with the privately owned funeral homes or direct sale.
    One key thing with making urns commercially is repeatability. Funeral homes want to show clients specific models for sale, and when the client receives it, they want it to match the sample they saw when they placed the order. Personally, turning the same thing over and over is not my cup o' darjeeling, but for someone who likes doing it, it could be a moneymaker.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com