Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
[rant on]Had about 2" of snow last night, pulled my truck out of the garage went about 3 miles and the front lost traction around a turn. Wouldn't have been too bad, was less than 20 mph, but I couldn't have hit the corner of the curb any squarer. Ruined 2 rims and one tire. :doh:Was smart enough to pull my floor mats out to lay down on though changing the tire.

You'd also think that 17" ford expedition rims would be easy to find. :dunno: Been searching craigs list and local yards all morning, no luck. :rolleyes: Have found some OEM's on the internet for $150 each :eek: might be time for a new look at that price.[rant off]

That's no good at all Daren. :( I went slip sliding away this morning too, but my rims and tires survived. I got lucky, cuz I hit the curb pretty hard.

:) It was that wet pack that once it goes you're goin with it. :eek:

Here in the pacific northwest that is the only kind we get! That plus the hills and mountains is why we drive our snow car with all wheel drive and studded snow tire on all 4 wheels, when it snows. Put them on in Nov and take them off in Apr. Most locals do the same.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk

Here in the pacific northwest that is the only kind we get! That plus the hills and mountains is why we drive our snow car with all wheel drive and studded snow tire on all 4 wheels, when it snows. Put them on in Nov and take them off in Apr. Most locals do the same.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk

yea, we do the same thing around here too.....:rolleyes:......:rofl:

Man that sucks, sorry to hear the news. Cant recommend a solution since any cross border stuff will be more expensive by the time shipping is done. Pretty much what i deal with on my Jeep now that they discontinued the model. :(

Didn't have any problem with snow, but Monday I let my step son who's home for a visit, take my truck out for the day.. he called us in Knoxville where we were working on a booth for the public market... said the truck wouldn't shift gears... and he was going to take it back home... we had to do some running yesterday to take care of some things for him, but got it to the mechanic today... something had rubbed a hole in the transmission fluid line and all my fluid was gone... hopefully that's all will be wrong... hope it didn't damage the transmission running it low on fluid from town back out to the house. This is a 20+ year old truck (1991 Ranger) that I don't want to have to replace (too cheap to make car payments again + on SS, no extra funds for car payments)...

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread... I've not driven in much snow or ice and if there is snow.. I stay in... I hate to be cold anyway, so just don't get out. The one time I do remember driving in snow/ice... I was making a trip home from the Navy in 1963 for Christmas and ran into a blizzard just west of Williams, AZ... at 22 years old, I had only been driving about 4 years (I learned to drive late... unusual for a Texas boy)... anyway the road was a total white out and I was having severe problems with not messing my pants...I was creeping along trying to just stay between the ditches and cars were passing me like it was nothing... finally reached Williams and decided I was through with driving for that night... ... next morning the roads were clear and dry all the rest of the way to Texas....

Last edited:
Well, Hope the truck just needs fluid and a line Chuck. Been going through something similar with my wife's car. Still have a real minor leak that I haven't been able to locate on her transmission.

Good news is (knock on wood), I found a guy getting a lift done on his truck. The original tires and rims fit my truck, just waiting to hear back from him as to when I can go get them from the shop it's at.

Well, I guess sometimes things just happen for a reason. One of my two bent up rims...
IMAG0694.jpg

New tires alone were going to be around $800. Since I couldn't find matching wheels/rims to replace the bent ones I was looking at about another $500 (well I did, but was $500 for two with shipping). I found these from a guy that was replacing his with new custom rims/tires on CL for $500.

IMAG0692.jpg

They all have right at 10/32" of tread left (my wife's new week old tires have 12/32")
IMAG0695.jpg

All ready to go, do need to get an alignment, steering wheel is cocked a little to the left.
IMAG0696.jpg

I agree with Brent. Nice deal, although still a bummer that you had to buy them in the first place.

Years ago I spun out on a wet road in my Jeep Wrangler and bent the rear axle. (Hit the right rear wheel on the left hand curb at about 50 mph...I was going backwards by then.) Although it had a heck of a wobble, I drove the Jeep for a couple of weeks with the bent axle while I saved up the funds to get it fixed. During that time, at least once daily someone would pull up next to me with their window rolled down, anxiously pointing at the back of the Jeep trying to tell me the wheel was loose and about to fall off. It was hard to use sign language to tell people that A) I already knew about it, and B) it's not loose, it's bent. :)

:rofl: Yeah, I had a few pointers on the way home from work Monday night. It did even out at about 30 mph, but my hand was numb from the vibration after getting off the highway. At below 30 it felt like the old toy jalopy clown cars we had as kids. Needless to say, I left it parked the last couple of days.