Still practicing

Chas Jones

A few days ago Charles Hans said...."If you keep practicing Chas you might just get this down pat!" so always one to accept good advice I thought I might as well see what I could do with these bits and pieces.
DSCN3121M.JPG

Elm, Ash & Walnut 130mm dia.
DSCN3126M.JPGDSCN3125M.JPGDSCN3124M.JPG which I spent a couple of hours on today doing the final turning.

Yew, Ash & Walnut 160mm dia.
DSCN3123M.JPGDSCN3122M.JPGThis one I finished last Sunday and may have to have a change of lid, the Yew rim is rather brash at the moment and the light angles make the Ash in the lid look rather dark. May just wait a while and see if the Yew darkens with light exposure or until an obvious colour match presents itself for a new lid.

Last edited:
Chas I think you might have a winner with the elm ash and walnut. great combination,
Yes that one does meld rather well, I've got another piece of Elm from that slab that is just awaiting a segment ring.
Thanks for showing what is possible with a little scrap wood.
Just need to try and get a bit more variation into the format/colour combinations before they become too boring. One thing that is coming through as far as the lidded boxes are concerned is the fact that using segments with differing grain orientations and laminating in plain wood sandwiches seem to arrive at a more stable piece with less movement to affect the lid fit with wood movement.