Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workshop light for lathe question

Workshop light for lathe question

I was looking around for a shop lamp type light I could put on my lathe for looking close at finish work and the only ones I saw that came close was this one attached from craft supplies - flexable neck - magnetic base - $71.00 see pic #1.

Northern Tool has one more expensive with a built in magnifying lense and power light - 28watt -Fluorescent- 7 1/2 inch - Steel swing arm
    design and articulated head with 7 1/2in.L x 6 3/16in.W glass lens - $80.00 - see pic #2

Thought I would ask around to who is using what and if there are any opinions on the two mentioned above. The one from Northern tool seems more appealing because of the magnifying ability....................................Thought s ??? thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stay-put[1].jpg   23419_lg[1].jpg  
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    Dan i really like my mag light, as my eyes ain't as good as once was. Also use the swing arm in the pic, and a small flex with a clip on. Can you tell i like lots of light. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	65097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004 [800x600].JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	65098

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    I was looking around for a shop lamp type light I could put on my lathe for looking close at finish work and the only ones I saw that came close was this one attached from craft supplies - flexable neck - magnetic base - $71.00 see pic #1.

Northern Tool has one more expensive with a built in magnifying lense and power light - 28watt -Fluorescent- 7 1/2 inch - Steel swing arm
    design and articulated head with 7 1/2in.L x 6 3/16in.W glass lens - $80.00 - see pic #2

Thought I would ask around to who is using what and if there are any opinions on the two mentioned above. The one from Northern tool seems more appealing because of the magnifying ability....................................Thought s ??? thanks
    Both would be my answer

I doubt that the mag light can throw enough light for regular turning, but I'd sure like to have a mag light for lots of other stuff and sometimes on the lathe.

I got to say $71 for a freaking light

Hit any local used shop, or garage sale, you should be able to pick up some former high school kid who has left home's desk lamp for $5
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Try Harbor
    Freight. Much much cheaper.

I see they are down to two of these (unless they relist).
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Arm-Lam...item53ea9a575a
    I purchased 2 so I have a 36" gooseneck mounted to the wall. Reaches from the headstock (for checking finish) to the tailstock (for light inside a deep bowl or hollowform) without having to move a base.
    Add a outdoor spot light fixture from the Borg and you have about $30 invested total. The fixture I use is not much larger diameter than a silver dollar and 100 watts.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson

I have a couple like the one in the first photo, made by Moffatt. They are great. They have a heat shield so the shade remains cool, even when using a 100 watt bulb. The gooseneck holds the lamp in place without creeping, even when the lathe is rockin'. I've used cheaper ones, including articulating desk lamps, but they didn't hold position well for me. Moffatt lights are not cheap, but neither are a lot of good tools, and I consider them to be good tools. Here's my setup:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/...ht-Up-My-Lathe

No experience with the magnifying light, although I pretty much hate fluorescent light for task lighting. (But that's just a personal thing. YMMV.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

THE PICS ARE AT THE BOTTOM

OK I am going to try this again. I have not been able to get the correct pic with the correct text.

Hi,

I went out to the garage and took some pics. I hope I can get them where I want them this time.

Lowe’s $14 on sale (1)
    Attachment 65100

Nice light, easy to maneuver, clip on base could be screwed to a panel instead of clipping. I just mounted an aluminum angle, cut a hole in it so one of the clamp feet would go through it. That hole keeps the lamp from moving on the aluminum because of vibration. If you made a wooden angle, it would be thicker and the hole might not be needed. Note my angle is mounted on about a 45 degree angle. Straight horizontal would probably not be a problem

Lowe’s $14 on sale (2)
    Attachment 65101
    Same as (1)

Harbor Freight $15
    Attachment 65099
    The articulations work OK. However not as quick as a goose neck. It has a large magnet in the base that works OK with BS vibration. Don’t think it would hold with lumpy wood on lathe. Easy to put screws through the feet.

JCB home made. About $2
    Attachment 65103

Harbor Freight $13
    Attachment 65104
    This is another HF. Basically the same as the $15. However, a few less features. I don’t think that this one will hold a curly fluorescent lamp.

High Intensity About $20
    Attachment 65104
    Good enough I don’t change it. Not good enough that I would purchase another just like it.

Lowe’s $10
    Attachment 65105
    However this one has a goose neck (not as long as the above Lowe’s units). It moves quickly and easily. The base is a clamp (see previous notes).

If the Gods are with us you should have the correct text with the pics.

Well my copy says you have pics. Can someone unscrew this? If so thanks.

Enjoy,

JimB OK here they are in order of the text entries.
    Attachment 65143Attachment 65144Attachment 65145Attachment 65146Attachment 65147Attachment 65148Attachment 65149
    Last edited by Jim C Bradley; 02-18-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I have two Moffatt lamps mounted to a light bar specific to the lathe I use. This orientation allows me to position one lamp down low and toward the tailstock end while the other is high and above the workpiece. This gives me an excellent view of what's inside if I am hollowing and also provides raking light to see the scratch pattern from toolwork and sanding. I love the way the Moffatt lamps hold their position and the light bar swivels and moves so that I can position the lamps wherever they are needed.
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

I want a light for my bandsaw. HD doesn't stock any magnetic ones, but they have a nice clamp light for $17, which of course is about " too small to clamp onto my saw where I want it. Still, I'm not paying $71 for one. If it's going to cost that, I'll get my niece to stand there and hold the light while I work. She enjoys making things. I've thought of putting a couple of rare earth magnets into a block of wood, snapping it onto the back of my saw and putting the clamp light on the block of wood. It's an old Rockwell/Beaver saw and I don't want to drill holes in it.

I use my lathe out in the sunshine in my driveway...

Below is a picture of the gooseneck I have. I went to the heavier duty necks linked to above. The thing I like best is the small diameter head that can be swiveled as Mike indicated with his, either from above or into a hollow form from three feet away.

Roger, Ikea did have a gooseneck led light for $10. A lot of turners use them at the lathe. Should provide enough light but I am assuming you only need to really add light to the blade area. I have one of the clip-on types at my bandsaw but it has been a real pain for 20+ years due to the large diameter, the one you are looking at may have a smaller fixture.

Roger, you may want to consider this also. I have one (looks the same but 3X more from Napa) the light and magnet is pretty strong; mount to the underside of your upper blade guard?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-...ght-67227.html $2.99
    I think I'm going to get one for my BS and finally get rid of the old one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lathe Light 002.jpg  
    Last edited by Mike Mills; 02-18-2012 at 05:41 PM.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Thomas Jefferson