Workshop light for lathe question

Dan Mosley

I was looking around for a shop lamp type light I could put on my lathe for looking close at finish work and the only ones I saw that came close was this one attached from craft supplies - flexable neck - magnetic base - $71.00 see pic #1.

Northern Tool has one more expensive with a built in magnifying lense and power light - 28watt -Fluorescent- 7 1/2 inch - Steel swing arm
design and articulated head with 7 1/2in.L x 6 3/16in.W glass lens - $80.00 - see pic #2

Thought I would ask around to who is using what and if there are any opinions on the two mentioned above. The one from Northern tool seems more appealing because of the magnifying ability....................................Thoughts ??? thanks

Attachments

• stay-put[1].jpg
    stay-put[1].jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 23419_lg[1].jpg
    23419_lg[1].jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 30
I was looking around for a shop lamp type light I could put on my lathe for looking close at finish work and the only ones I saw that came close was this one attached from craft supplies - flexable neck - magnetic base - $71.00 see pic #1.

Northern Tool has one more expensive with a built in magnifying lense and power light - 28watt -Fluorescent- 7 1/2 inch - Steel swing arm
design and articulated head with 7 1/2in.L x 6 3/16in.W glass lens - $80.00 - see pic #2

Thought I would ask around to who is using what and if there are any opinions on the two mentioned above. The one from Northern tool seems more appealing because of the magnifying ability....................................Thoughts ??? thanks

Both would be my answer :D

I doubt that the mag light can throw enough light for regular turning, but I'd sure like to have a mag light for lots of other stuff and sometimes on the lathe.

I got to say $71 for a freaking light :eek:

Hit any local used shop, or garage sale, you should be able to pick up some former high school kid who has left home's desk lamp for $5 :thumb:

I see they are down to two of these (unless they relist).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Arm-La...018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ea9a575a
I purchased 2 so I have a 36" gooseneck mounted to the wall. Reaches from the headstock (for checking finish) to the tailstock (for light inside a deep bowl or hollowform) without having to move a base.
Add a outdoor spot light fixture from the Borg and you have about $30 invested total. The fixture I use is not much larger diameter than a silver dollar and 100 watts.

I have a couple like the one in the first photo, made by Moffatt. They are great. They have a heat shield so the shade remains cool, even when using a 100 watt bulb. The gooseneck holds the lamp in place without creeping, even when the lathe is rockin'. I've used cheaper ones, including articulating desk lamps, but they didn't hold position well for me. Moffatt lights are not cheap, but neither are a lot of good tools, and I consider them to be good tools. Here's my setup:

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?14405-You-You-Light-Up-My-Lathe

No experience with the magnifying light, although I pretty much hate fluorescent light for task lighting. (But that's just a personal thing. YMMV.)

THE PICS ARE AT THE BOTTOM

OK I am going to try this again. I have not been able to get the correct pic with the correct text.

Hi,

I went out to the garage and took some pics. I hope I can get them where I want them this time.

Lowe’s $14 on sale (1)
View attachment 65100

Nice light, easy to maneuver, clip on base could be screwed to a panel instead of clipping. I just mounted an aluminum angle, cut a hole in it so one of the clamp feet would go through it. That hole keeps the lamp from moving on the aluminum because of vibration. If you made a wooden angle, it would be thicker and the hole might not be needed. Note my angle is mounted on about a 45 degree angle. Straight horizontal would probably not be a problem

Lowe’s $14 on sale (2)
View attachment 65101
Same as (1)

Harbor Freight $15
View attachment 65099
The articulations work OK. However not as quick as a goose neck. It has a large magnet in the base that works OK with BS vibration. Don’t think it would hold with lumpy wood on lathe. Easy to put screws through the feet.

JCB home made. About $2
View attachment 65103

Harbor Freight $13
View attachment 65104
This is another HF. Basically the same as the $15. However, a few less features. I don’t think that this one will hold a curly fluorescent lamp.

High Intensity About $20
View attachment 65104
Good enough I don’t change it. Not good enough that I would purchase another just like it.

Lowe’s $10
View attachment 65105
However this one has a goose neck (not as long as the above Lowe’s units). It moves quickly and easily. The base is a clamp (see previous notes).

If the Gods are with us you should have the correct text with the pics.

Well my copy says you have pics. Can someone unscrew this? If so thanks.

Enjoy,

JimB OK here they are in order of the text entries.
View attachment 65143View attachment 65144View attachment 65145View attachment 65146View attachment 65147View attachment 65148View attachment 65149

Last edited:
I have two Moffatt lamps mounted to a light bar specific to the lathe I use. This orientation allows me to position one lamp down low and toward the tailstock end while the other is high and above the workpiece. This gives me an excellent view of what's inside if I am hollowing and also provides raking light to see the scratch pattern from toolwork and sanding. I love the way the Moffatt lamps hold their position and the light bar swivels and moves so that I can position the lamps wherever they are needed.

I want a light for my bandsaw. HD doesn't stock any magnetic ones, but they have a nice clamp light for $17, which of course is about ¼" too small to clamp onto my saw where I want it. Still, I'm not paying $71 for one. If it's going to cost that, I'll get my niece to stand there and hold the light while I work. She enjoys making things. I've thought of putting a couple of rare earth magnets into a block of wood, snapping it onto the back of my saw and putting the clamp light on the block of wood. It's an old Rockwell/Beaver saw and I don't want to drill holes in it.

I use my lathe out in the sunshine in my driveway...

Below is a picture of the gooseneck I have. I went to the heavier duty necks linked to above. The thing I like best is the small diameter head that can be swiveled as Mike indicated with his, either from above or into a hollow form from three feet away.

Roger, Ikea did have a gooseneck led light for $10. A lot of turners use them at the lathe. Should provide enough light but I am assuming you only need to really add light to the blade area. I have one of the clip-on types at my bandsaw but it has been a real pain for 20+ years due to the large diameter, the one you are looking at may have a smaller fixture.

Roger, you may want to consider this also. I have one (looks the same but 3X more from Napa) the light and magnet is pretty strong; mount to the underside of your upper blade guard?
http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html $2.99
I think I'm going to get one for my BS and finally get rid of the old one.

Attachments

• Lathe Light 002.jpg
    Lathe Light 002.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Jim,
They are at the bay link I posted in my first post in this thread (#5). If the seller is out of these click on his "other items" he also has the same thing with a copper finish. They are pretty heavy duty and already threaded for standard light fixtures. It's easy to run the zip cord since they are made for lights. I purchased mine 6-9 months ago. I used an outdoor spotlight from HD ($10) but if a trac light is 110v you can probably use one of those also for about the same price. I just like the small sealed fixture.

Mike,

A sheepish Jim Bradley says, "THANK YOU!"

I guess I was asleep when I looked at that posting. I did not notice the length. Don't get old, your brains leak out.

Thanks again and,

Enjoy,

JimB

PS:I ordered it. It was my first e-Bay purchase. It was my first use of my Pay Pal.

Last edited:
I have two Moffatt lamps mounted to a light bar specific to the lathe I use. This orientation allows me to position one lamp down low and toward the tailstock end while the other is high and above the workpiece. This gives me an excellent view of what's inside if I am hollowing and also provides raking light to see the scratch pattern from toolwork and sanding. I love the way the Moffatt lamps hold their position and the light bar swivels and moves so that I can position the lamps wherever they are needed.

I'm with Mike on the Moffatt lamps. I tried several other types that illuminated well but fell short when changing and/or holding positions.

lathelights.jpg

On our polygon grinders at work we bought some middle of the road lights and took the bottom of them off and made a plate that we could bolt to the grinder. When we grind a I.D polygon it is much easier to see inside the part.
William I like your set up but how hot does the lights get? On some of our other machines like lathes we built a 2 ft square frame, added a upright post, then addes a out reach arm so it would angle over the lath. We then bolted a 4' Florescent light to it. We added casters so we could move it where ever we needed to.

Last edited:
I want a light for my bandsaw. HD doesn't stock any magnetic ones, but they have a nice clamp light for $17,...

Two of the HF lamps in my pics have MAGNETIC bases. Number 3 (the gray one) is on the bandsaw. It also has three legs that extend out adding to its stability. The black one, Number 5, is about $2 cheaper. It does not have quite as much articulation and it does not have feet that extend out to act as a base on a non-magnetic surface.

The lights are good. The one on my big bandsaw (#3) works fine because it pretty much stays in one position. However the articulations are not easy enough for either the gray or black to work for the lathe. A goose neck is much better there.

Vibration is the enemy of magnetic bases. They work fine on the BS, sander and grinder (DP has built in lamp unit). However, a lumpy piece of wood makes them travel and/or fall unless completely isolated from the lathe and its bench.

Pics #1 and 2 are a small unit from Lowe's. The goose neck is approx. 14 inches long. It stays in position quite well because the lamp assembly itself is quite light. The lamp unit is also quite small. It has been my favorite on the lathe until I rearranged things a bit. Now I want a longer goose neck. I purchased the one Mike recommended. It has not arrived as yet so I am not sure how good it is for my purpose. Also not sure how much work it will be to make it into a usable lamp.

That little blue unit from Lowe's puts out a lot of light. The light is fairly uniform with a bit more intensity at the center (like the hole in a do-nut). I really like the "small" bit because it keeps the dang thing out of my way better. IT DOES NOT GET HOT.

Enjoy,

JimB

Last edited:

Northern Tool has one more expensive with a built in magnifying lense and power
led lights - 28watt -Fluorescent- 7 1/2 inch - Steel swing arm

Sorry for old thread posting but which light did you choose? Can you share some pics.. my budget is close to $50 so can advise good options..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)

Last edited:
I have wall cabinets above my lathe and put a string of under cabinet lights on the bottom of the cabinets. They light the entire length of my 36" lathe.