Help with a Grizzly saw and Excalibur dust collector

ed sautter

I have both in our shop. However we have to have a separate splitter mounted to the saw with kick backs. I have had this saw setup since 2010 and it has worked correctly. The problem and the help I need is that the guys in the shop have lost the splitter/anti kickback that makes the saw OSHA compliant. I have a walk through scheduled at the owners request for April and need to find a replacement by then. I have checked a number of places and all my records back for that time and can't seem to find the PO that I ordered it from. I called Grizzly directly and they do not have anything they offer so I had to order it else where. If any of you have had to go through this and can help me locate what I need I would be grateful. Even if I have to by the everything new for the splitter and it's mounting hardware I will. Otherwise this saw must be locked out and kept unusable until either we get it corrected or replaced. I hate to get rid of the saw for just that.

The saw model was a G1023S if that helps. Sure could use some help.

check out the merlin splitter it might work for your application.. if you could show us a picture of what you had or are needing to fit ot alter that would be helpful..

Thanks guys. I went to the sites you posted and I found that I ordered it from the BORK store site. Thanks guys again now I can get things going.

The one we bought from the BORK store was for the Grizzly saw we have. It was made directly for it. I remember being impressed that it was cast and well made. The spitter was also high quality. However you had to open things up to remove it but install was just push in and go. It would be nice to have it some where to hang it wne not used. As to the Excalibur well that's another story. Great concept and does work well at covering our a** for OSHA but as to it being what it was to do well two things. We have the Euro vac system for all bench tools and that was how the mounted the dust collection to the saw. It just isn't enough to truly do any good. I have a much larger collector for the CNC, panel saw and v-grover that I ought to have had this saw connected to. It would then have been sonething much bette. It mounts to the saw well and does extend out to a much longer reach. Well made guard and is able to be out into the float position or a raised position. So that's good. But are there better ones yes. But for the cost this serves the pourpose. OSHA requires the blade be covered. This cover could stand 6" above the blade if you wanted and you would still be covered. It's the ability to not be in direct contact with the blade that is what they are looking for. As you all know that is next to imopssible with many cuts on the saw unless you are ripping. The other requirement is it have anti kickback and a splitting knife. That's why Grizzly discontinued the model saw we got at such a deal. Go figure they knew as well. Hope that's what you were looking for Larry.

Ken you're right it's after market and Grizzly didn't offer this back them it's a 2009 model year saw.

Here's an update. I talked to the guy from the BORK Store and he sent pictures of what he had to confirm it with what I have. They are not the same. I will have to continue my search. I'd like to get the correct part that is missing but I fear that that will be a challenge as I can't find the manufacture. I do believe I purchased the Excaliber from someone in PA but am not bring anything up just yet. I willhave to take off the parts on the saw and see if anything is there on it that will help. Keep you all posted.

do you have any pictures of what was there? even if it a poor one it might give a hint to what was one there..ask your oldest employee that might remember what was there some characteristic that might spark a idea of where to look

Camara in hand today to get a good picture of the part and maybe any #'s as well. I'll post something that may be helpful Larry. Maybe one of you have seen the part and can help figure this out.

Update, took the mount off the saw and ran the number on line and found it to be a Biesemeyer 78-961. I am also finding that I have by the entire assembly rather that just the spreader. I have attached two pictures of the unit not mine but from on line. It ought to explain what I was looking for. Now to find the spreader for it.

Copy of Biesemeyer 78-961 1 (1).JPGBiesemeyer 78-961 2.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, I went to one of those sites yesterday and did find the parts but it looks as though they want to sell a complete setup or just parts. I'll contact them and see if they would or do sell the spreader. It's a nice piece and if anyone has a Grizzly saw it works great. Guys like it in the shop, that is if they don't loose it again.