Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: a cradle idea i've been working on

a cradle idea i've been working on

about a week or so ago, my wife asked me if i would build a cradle for one of her friends from church who was expecting in about 7 months. like a good husband , i said ok, i would work on a design for them, but, will hold off on the build, to make sure everything is still ok. so, with that i set to work on sketchup , and here iit is. it's sort of my version of greene & greene of a sort. i did omit a couple of things, such as the pivot pins, locking pin to keep it from rocking, and the keys for the stretcher, i'm holding off on those.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cradle a.jpg   cradle b.jpg   cradle measured.jpg  
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 02-18-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

needs to be tapered on the ends so the bottom is narrower than the top.. it looks to boxey now..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    needs to be tapered on the ends so the bottom is narrower than the top.. it looks to boxey now..
    I agree with Larry and the sides are to high shorten it up about 6 inches. Your not gonna have to worry about the little one climbing out cause by the time he/she is big enough to do that their gonna be in a bigger crib.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Dan, I agree with the above statements. I also want to say that will be one sweet cradle! I hope you build it and I also hope you let us follow along.

i was thinking about tapering it to begin with, but the standard size of cradle mattresses are 18" x 36", and tapering it out from there, the top would be about 24" wide or better. so i stuck with the sides the way they are. i learned my lesson about mattresses, when i built a cradle for the youngest nephew, from some plans in an issue of today's woodworker, and had to have the mattress custom made to fit, and that cost quite a bit. the actual sides themselves are only 20" at the widest, and 18" where it drops down. it does look a bit big at first, that's why i included one with the measurements with the others.
    Last edited by Dan Noren; 02-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
    benedictione omnes bene

I would agree with the others. I also think the feet should be slightly narrower and about 2/3 thicker than you've drawn them. I would be inclined to use square pads for the bottom-most layer so it sits up a little bit. You might also consider tapering them slightly toward their ends.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i was thinking about tapering it to begin with, but the standard size of cradle mattresses are 18" x 36", and tapering it out from there, the top would be about 24" wide or better.
    So at least it wouldn't look like a box
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

ok, here's the mk 2 version. i used a minimum 10 degree angle to the sides, and i had to make the ends much wider to accommodate the 18" wide mattress. if i hadn't, the mattress would have been about 3" from the top. i added the 3/4" pads to the bottoms of the feet. they were already 1.5" thick to begin with, now up to 2.25". the width of the top has grown from a little over 19" wide, to 25 5/8" wide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cradle mk 2.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

heading in the right direction but still to tall on the sides. cut them down by about six inches and let other on hear see how it looks.

that's not doable don, as the lowest part of the sides is only a touch over 13" from the board for the bottom. add in the couple of inches for the mattress, and there is only 5" on the sides. then again, the ends would have to be reworked as well, and that wouldn't work out too good either. i'm working around a 18x36 mattress.
    benedictione omnes bene