a cradle idea i've been working on

yep, it goes the other way too.:rofl:, and you can see from this view, that it almost, but not quite touches the stretcher. it could go another degree or two, but i kept it at 20 degrees.

Attachments

• cradle mk 3 swing b.jpg
    cradle mk 3 swing b.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 11
ok one last request dano:) the height is fine the slopes are good on the top edges now just make the ends a touch narrower to make the taper look show instead of the box look.. the feet are fine as well

Dan very cool i think you getting excellent advice here. One guy who has not weighed in is our other Stickley fan. Rennie pipe up please. :)
For my 5 cents i think you need to be true to the Stickly concept. That stretcher and the side up rights need the curve removed.
Great application for the style Dan.:thumbup::thumbup: Cannot wait to see it come about.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Maybe don't lower it quite so much but I think it'll be better with the sides lowered some. Remember, baby won't sleep in it forever. By the time they are old enough to move around and pull themselves up where there's a danger of them going over the side, they'll have been moved into a crib. By that time, even at the original depth, it won't keep baby in if they want out.

You've probably seen the cradle I built for my son.

As you can see it is quite shallow but it was never a problem. He quit sleeping in it before he could have gotten himself into bad spot. Then it became an ark for the stuffed critters. I was worried that he'd roll over and get the gunn'l down so he couldn't roll the other direction. A number of folks told me he'd capsize it when he rolled to one side. As it turned out, the way it hangs, it's impossible to capsize it.

Dave that crib is absolutely and utterly amazing.
i could go on and on but to me an ex sailor it hit a sweet spot. So so cool. In Larrys words you dun real good.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Rob. It's a boat of my own design. It was build upside down on a strong back the way a boat should be built (unless it's a Norwegian Færing which is built upright.) Planks are 1/8" thick clear pine. Transoms, gunwales, knees and keel are walnut. Transom trim, ribs and inner rails are ash. Copper rivets and roves fasten the ribs and inner rails. Unfortunately the ribs can't hit the planks correctly for a proper boat so they are riveted mid-plank instead of at the seams as would be proper. It comes from not having enough planks. The davits are maple and lyptus with wooden hand-turned sheaves for the lines. I made large eye splices in the 3-strand and then cut the eyes at their apexes to make the legs to the knees. Proper bronze cleats to belay the lines. And the monkey's fists hanging on the stern line were tied by my friend Tyler Howell. There you go. More than you wanted to know.

This is Ian in it when he was about 2-1/2. He dumped out the critters and climbed into it on his own. :D

Sorry for the hijack, Dan.

that lil guy knows a good thing when he sees one.:thumb: rob, for me, the stretcher would be too plain without doing something to it. the decoration to it is just a 1/8" indent, along the lines of what i had done with the state fair table. as far as the uprights go, that was the last, and hardest item to design. i like to think of those lower curves to be akin to a reverse corbel, sweeping inwards, and upwards, rather than out, and draws the eye to the almost art deco central item being supported on each side. i've done a bit of a lift on the bottoms of the sides only, as there isn't much room to play on the ends. it's a not very busy lift, unlike the top one, and breaks the straight line that was there. i did a quick comparison with the cross sections, and while a 10 degree angle on each side was way too much, the 5 degree angle wasn't enough.

Attachments

• cradle mk 4.jpg
    cradle mk 4.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 16
back to the ol drawing board.... lol

to use the old saying, man plans and god laughs, would be just about right. my wife's :blah: friend stopped by the other day. i showed her the design of the cradle.:D she looked it over as i rotated it in all directions in sketchup. she then said that she loved the design, but she preferred one with the kind of spindles that i have on our couch:eek:. oh well, back to the old sketchup blackboard....:type:

well ladies and gents, after a few hours of dedicated grumbling, grousing, and outright griping, here it is, the cradle mk 5.....

Attachments

• cradle mk 5.jpg
    cradle mk 5.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 12