Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle again.......

Back in the saddle again.......

I had another of my famous "retirement" projects on my assembly bench without any progress since last October. I was racing the winter weather and an October 13th surgery date. I did manage to remove the patio metal roof, replace the damaged soffit and paint the new soffit and facia and get the patio metal roof reinstalled 2 days before the first winter storms.

Then I had my cochlear implant surgery and it effected my equilibrium. It's only in the last couple weeks I felt confident enough to start walking on a treadmill again.

I bought and assembled a new scroll saw for the wife last week.

Today I went back into the shop to work on the oak entertainment center for the first time since last September. It took a couple hours to figure out where I had stopped, what to do next and get started. I began dryfitting the full extension drawer slides and the 6 drawers and the 4 sliding shelves. This will allow me to calculate, measure and mark where the European hidden hinges should go on the doors and drill the doors. Then I will dry fit the hinges and doors. I have 2 pieces of molding to make and install before some final sanding and start finishing.

It felt good to be back in the shop woodworking for the first time in 4 months!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-20-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Amherst, New Hampshire
    Good news Ken. Glad you are feeling well enough to start making sawdust again
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Plainwell, Michigan
    Great your are finally able to get back in your shop Ken Don't forget to show us pics of the entertainment center

Delton, Michigan
    good for you fitz
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Tokyo Japan
    Welcome back to the workshop Ken!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thomasville, GA
    It's good to hear you're back at it, Ken!!!
    Bill Arnold
    Citizen of Texas residing in Georgia.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

North West Indiana
    Yes, glad to hear you are feeling well enough to get out to the shop, let alone work in it. Maybe I missed it, what kind of scrollsaw did you end up purchasing?
    God and family, the rest is icing on the cake.

I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place.

Premier Bovine Scatologist

Jonathan, I ended up buying my wife an Excalibur EX-21. My wife will be the primary user, has no experience using power tools and I was concerned about safety. The tilting head of the Excalibur brand leaves the table top flat and for me that was an increased safety factor. That coupled with a deal we couldn't refuse at the Spokane WoodCraft caused me to buy it then even though I wasn't ready to buy it at the time.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-20-2012 at 02:59 PM.

Oceanside, So. Calif. 5 mi. to the ocean
    Welcome back Ken. I wish you all of the hearing, stability, woodworking fun, that you can stand.

First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.

DSM, IA
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Welcome back Ken. I wish you all of the hearing, stability, woodworking fun, that you can stand.

Yes Sir! So happy for you Ken, and can't wait to see the entertainment center completed!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website