Sketch Up

Garry Foster

How do I do a center drill type of hole...

I went to use us up a couple of American Flat top pen kits I have and found they require a new mandrel and bushing kit. I also see that some of the bushings haven't matched the hardware.

So I decided it was a good place to combine my tooling and make a couple of between center bushings..

So I have made one of the bushings and thought it would be a great practice item for sketch up..
I ran into a problem with making the center drilled hole..

Funny just now as I am typing this it comes to me that the follow me tool is probably the answer to putting the 60 degree semi cone in.....
Yes/no......I'll have to give it a try when I get back to it...

bushing.jpg

Thanks
Garry

Garry, a cone can be produced as you suggested by using FollowMe. In this drawing, I created a rectangle 2" high by 1" wide, used Protractor to draw a reference line at 60° from the bottom corner, drew a line along the reference, and deleted all but the part you see. I then drew a 1" radius circle, edited the segments to 48, highlighted the circle, chose FollowMe and produced the cone.
Cone.jpg

I remember seeing a video that Dave Richards did in which he explains how to use the Move tool to produce a variety of shapes, including changing a cylinder to a cone. I can't find it now but maybe he'll chime in with the location of his video.

Edit: I found the video! Here it is.

Last edited:
Apologies for the delay. Yesterday and so far today I've been lecturing on the operation of anesthesia machines. Stuff that would put you guys to sleep.

So Bill has the right idea about using Follow Me. if you wanted to do a thing with a cone shaped hole, you would draw the section of the part with the triangle missing. For something that is round like that, you could draw a section of the entire thing and use Follow Me in one operation.

Using cardinal points to do the resizing can also be useful although I would probably lean toward the Follow Me method because it would be easier to be precise about the angles and radii of the part.

By the way, in Bill's illustration of the cone made with Follow Me, it ends up without a base. If you want the base to be drawn in, either delete the face of the circle of draw the circle so it is not in contact with the profile. And correct the face orientation after you've completed the Follow Me operation. ;)

... I've been lecturing on the operation of anesthesia machines. Stuff that would put you guys to sleep.

Anesthesia.....put to sleep.....OK, Dave. :rolleyes:

... By the way, in Bill's illustration of the cone made with Follow Me, it ends up without a base. If you want the base to be drawn in, either delete the face of the circle of draw the circle so it is not in contact with the profile. And correct the face orientation after you've completed the Follow Me operation. ;)

Oops, forgot about that part. When the cone was done, I drew a line across the bottom to restore the face. Oh, yeah - one of these days I'll remember about reversing the faces! :doh: