Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I saved almost 200 bucks

I saved almost 200 bucks

Larry started another thread about over the blade dust collection for the TS, and Ive been holding off doing anything about it for months, thinking I was moving my shop to a much larger location with 4 times the electrical juice.
    Unfortunately, that isnt working out this year for me.
    After making some pressure treated adirondack chairs, I was very frustrated with the amount of dust blowing into my face, and the PT pine tortures me.

I was also hoping sawstop would have made some kind of offer to sawstop owners and offered the blade guard dust collector at a discount, now that they are offering it free with a new sawstop.

I finally ordered it, and was about to order their overarm kit for 200 bucks, but my buddy offered me any pvc fittings and piping for free, and I purchased a few pieces to put it together.
    I used an old pool filter hose for the final connection to the blade guard.

How does it work?

Im a bit suprised. I dont have a powerful dust collection system, but Id guess 90 % more efficient at the blade. No more spray and very little dust on the table. I cut pressure treated today, plywood, and maple, and was suprised how well the blade guard picked up the dust with my weak system.
    Im starved for amps, and cant put in more 220 lines, so compromises had to be made. Id love to have a powerful cyclone system, and perhaps if I move one day I will.

I was thinking how to attach the pvc piping(2 inch) to the saw, and found 2 inch metal clamps,(in the plumbing section of the borg) with a threaded hole to attach it.
    I drilled through the back rail, used some 3/8 bolts I had, and it worked perfectly.
    My other dilemma was that I have my router table right of the blade.
    The piping will inhibit movement if Im running long pieces through the router, so the clamps that hold the pipe, have hinges.
    I can loosen the tightening screw, and turn the piping down, under the table so it doesnt interfere with me if Im using the router.
    I attached a little longer piece of 2.5 inch dust hose than I need, so the piping turns down without any problems.

Simple to make, and I saved just about 200 bucks, considering Id have to pay tax and shipping.

mission accomplished today.

can anyone tell me what that metal rod is used for, it came with the blade guard. (second picture)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 213 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 214 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 215 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 216 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 217 (Medium).jpg  

Human Test Dummy

The pivoting aciton (not to mention you saving $200) is brilliant Allen!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Looks great Allen. Just a thought; I mounted my motor/filter housing the opposite way from yours so my floor hoses feed straight up into the blower. That way the dust doesn't have to climb that hill just to turn around and go back down. The filter is still on top and a solid bag below as yours is now.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Cheap yet effective solution. The best kind.
    Chinese Proverb: Man who eats many prunes gets good run for the money.

can you show me a close up of the dust guard and the hose coming from it allen.. the assembly anchors tot he riving knife correct? looks good and glad your gettin yur moneys worth
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

glenn-you are right, I should flip it but until my son does it for me, I cant get those anchors attached for the filter.
    I havent bothered him with it, seems I always have other chores for him.
    Originally, I had my dust lines running along the top, and the lines dropped down, but its easier for me and many many feet less of dust line just running it on the floor when I need it. I have one of those 3ft to 21 ft lines that I use for my jointer, bandsaw and planer. Just have to remember to put the line under the TS when not in use so when I walk into the dark shop I dont trip over it.

larry, the guard is made for ss and fits into the riving knifes slots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cabinet 218 (Medium).jpg   cabinet 219 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 02-22-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Human Test Dummy

thanks allen shoulda bought a saw stop.. but they wernt out yet
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

It's part of the guard.http://www.sawstop.com/documents/PCS31230%20Owner's%20Manual%20%20V3.3%20%203-8-10.pdfScroll to page 26 of this document and it will show you how to install it on the guard.

I flipped the unit as suggested by glenn, didnt wait for help doing it.
    It was a job, but got it done.
    I was able to shorten the lines, which is always good.
    I had the dc apart, so I examined the inside of the pleated paper filter, and man o man was it caked up.
    I ran my finger through some wider cleats and managed to get out chunks of sawdust.
    I vacuumed it, cleaned it again, revacuumed it, and when I turned it on today, I still wasnt thrilled with the suction I was having at the blade guard. I was able to put the 1.5 inch hose to my cheek and let it suck in my cheek, just to feel how strong it is.
    I was wondering why I wasnt getting much suction in the 4 inch line, and realized I had the dust port door closed, and when I opened it, it sucked my arm into the hose. I didnt realize I should be taking the wynn filter off every few months and really cleaning it out. amazing difference.(i use a brush and shake it every day to loosen the dust inside and put a pail underneath it, but nothing compared to this cleaning, and always blow the air line from the outside)
    Human Test Dummy

Allen check this out it may help.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/to...lector-woks-on
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart