I saved almost 200 bucks

allen levine

Larry started another thread about over the blade dust collection for the TS, and Ive been holding off doing anything about it for months, thinking I was moving my shop to a much larger location with 4 times the electrical juice.
Unfortunately, that isnt working out this year for me.
After making some pressure treated adirondack chairs, I was very frustrated with the amount of dust blowing into my face, and the PT pine tortures me.

I was also hoping sawstop would have made some kind of offer to sawstop owners and offered the blade guard dust collector at a discount, now that they are offering it free with a new sawstop.

I finally ordered it, and was about to order their overarm kit for 200 bucks, but my buddy offered me any pvc fittings and piping for free, and I purchased a few pieces to put it together.
I used an old pool filter hose for the final connection to the blade guard.

How does it work?

Im a bit suprised. I dont have a powerful dust collection system, but Id guess 90 % more efficient at the blade. No more spray and very little dust on the table. I cut pressure treated today, plywood, and maple, and was suprised how well the blade guard picked up the dust with my weak system.
Im starved for amps, and cant put in more 220 lines, so compromises had to be made. Id love to have a powerful cyclone system, and perhaps if I move one day I will.

I was thinking how to attach the pvc piping(2 inch) to the saw, and found 2 inch metal clamps,(in the plumbing section of the borg) with a threaded hole to attach it.
I drilled through the back rail, used some 3/8 bolts I had, and it worked perfectly.
My other dilemma was that I have my router table right of the blade.
The piping will inhibit movement if Im running long pieces through the router, so the clamps that hold the pipe, have hinges.
I can loosen the tightening screw, and turn the piping down, under the table so it doesnt interfere with me if Im using the router.
I attached a little longer piece of 2.5 inch dust hose than I need, so the piping turns down without any problems.

Simple to make, and I saved just about 200 bucks, considering Id have to pay tax and shipping.

mission accomplished today.

can anyone tell me what that metal rod is used for, it came with the blade guard. (second picture)

Attachments

• cabinet 213 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 213 (Medium).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 135
  • cabinet 214 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 214 (Medium).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 117
  • cabinet 215 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 215 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 115
  • cabinet 216 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 216 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 111
  • cabinet 217 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 217 (Medium).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113
Looks great Allen. Just a thought; I mounted my motor/filter housing the opposite way from yours so my floor hoses feed straight up into the blower. That way the dust doesn't have to climb that hill just to turn around and go back down. The filter is still on top and a solid bag below as yours is now.

can you show me a close up of the dust guard and the hose coming from it allen.. the assembly anchors tot he riving knife correct? looks good and glad your gettin yur moneys worth:thumb:

glenn-you are right, I should flip it but until my son does it for me, I cant get those anchors attached for the filter.
I havent bothered him with it, seems I always have other chores for him.
Originally, I had my dust lines running along the top, and the lines dropped down, but its easier for me and many many feet less of dust line just running it on the floor when I need it. I have one of those 3ft to 21 ft lines that I use for my jointer, bandsaw and planer. Just have to remember to put the line under the TS when not in use so when I walk into the dark shop I dont trip over it.

larry, the guard is made for ss and fits into the riving knifes slots.

Attachments

• cabinet 218 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 218 (Medium).jpg
    69 KB · Views: 53
  • cabinet 219 (Medium).jpg
    cabinet 219 (Medium).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I flipped the unit as suggested by glenn, didnt wait for help doing it.
It was a job, but got it done.
I was able to shorten the lines, which is always good.
I had the dc apart, so I examined the inside of the pleated paper filter, and man o man was it caked up.
I ran my finger through some wider cleats and managed to get out chunks of sawdust.
I vacuumed it, cleaned it again, revacuumed it, and when I turned it on today, I still wasnt thrilled with the suction I was having at the blade guard. I was able to put the 1.5 inch hose to my cheek and let it suck in my cheek, just to feel how strong it is.
I was wondering why I wasnt getting much suction in the 4 inch line, and realized I had the dust port door closed, and when I opened it, it sucked my arm into the hose. I didnt realize I should be taking the wynn filter off every few months and really cleaning it out. amazing difference.(i use a brush and shake it every day to loosen the dust inside and put a pail underneath it, but nothing compared to this cleaning, and always blow the air line from the outside)

interesting.

I was cutting one inch wide strips of spanish cedar today.
The spanish cedar makes an awful amount of dust at the TS.
Fine, light brown reddish dust.
Easy to spot on the TS shiny surface.
I refuse to believe it, but it seemed I could not find anything but a trace of fine reddish dust.
I dont know how the sawstop blade guard works, but it works pretty darn good. Im impressed after today.

Last edited:
Allen i have a high regard for the saw stop and its designers. To me rather than small incremental facelift type model releases we see in the tradditional manufacturers they seem to have trully tackled the problem of dust pickup with using the blade tooth direction to aid in moving the chips towards the outlet.

By the way from what i read when you blow out your cartridge dont let the air jets get too close to the material or use too strong a pressure. It can apparently damage the fine dust filtering capability of the fabric.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk